The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need help with identification

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by b94new on July 23, 2006 02:06 AM
i live in upstate ny and my friend has a bush that is about 5 feet high and three wide--the leaves look similar to a fruit tree but the identifying thing about it is the twigs. they are kind of four sided and when mature the bark is rough. that's about all i have to go on so far---hoping someone has a guess! thanks!
by Tonya on July 23, 2006 03:40 AM
Do you have a pic? That would help a great deal....

By the way... Welcome!! [wavey]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by b94new on July 23, 2006 04:02 AM
no picture yet---i was so sure the stem was a dead giveaway to someone "in the know". it ilooked so unique to me. there do not seem to be any flowers or berries yet and this is her first year in the house.
by Tonya on July 23, 2006 04:25 AM
I'm at a loss, but I'm sure someone will know! [thumb] Best of luck!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by obywan59 on July 23, 2006 06:13 AM
What about winged euonymus? (euonymus alatus) With four wings, it could appear to have 4-sided stems. It's generally broader than tall though.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by netty on July 23, 2006 06:39 AM
I was going to guess Burning Bush and now I see that Euonymus Alatus IS Burning Bush [Big Grin]

-
 -
by b94new on July 23, 2006 07:00 AM
(i think burning bush is something different than this link as I have burning bus and it is more busy than shruby)---but ALAS! i think you have solved the mystery! this is exactly the stem formation...is it a late bloomer? eureka! i think this is it! thanks for solving the mystery!
by b94new on July 23, 2006 07:14 AM
ack! i should spell check--that's BUSHY than SHRUBY
by b94new on July 23, 2006 07:58 AM
and also just found out that MY burning bush is a dwarf form....
by RugbyHukr on July 25, 2006 03:09 PM
the bloom is very insignificant & is easy to miss.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum