The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bugs killed my pine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bugs and Spiders| Next thread: Bugs need help FAST »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on July 20, 2006 03:51 PM
a while back i posted about my pine starting to die. at the time i just attributed it to being crowded out by the other taller trees. well, it eventually all died. i was out watering today and i swore i heard noise in the tree! i looked closer and saw little tiny holes all over the bark and noticed the stuff being pushed out of the tree. not like saw dust- more like small pieces of the tree. it wasn't as grainy as saw dust. not like termites. and termites don't eat live wood, right? i got a pocket knife from in the house and tried to cut out a bug from one of the holes and couldn't- they must have run deep inside. the holes go under the bark and right into the middle of the tree! the holes are small- maybe a centimeter across. i think my husband and i are going to cut down the tree friday morning as he is off of work that day. what the heck do you think it could be? what eats a live pine tree to death? do i have to worry about any other trees or just the pines? i would get a picture but i'm having a hard time connecting my camera to the computer- it doesn't want to recognize it after 3 years! [Mad]
by The Plant Doc on July 22, 2006 01:36 PM
It sounds like some sort of borer. Did it die from the top down?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by pagarden on July 22, 2006 02:08 PM
no it died from the bottom up......
by weezie13 on July 22, 2006 04:11 PM
Ants can live in alive trees....
and do like you discribed....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by summergirl on July 23, 2006 03:23 PM
Hi Pagardener
I live in NE PA also. I am a new member but I was wondering if it is a hemlock tree or a spruce?
the hemlock trees have been attacked by woody adelgid. Its is a fluid-feeding insect that feeds on hemlock trees throughout eastern North America, including Pennsylvania. They can happen from bottom to the top.

the spruce trees have been attacked by an eastren pine shoot borer on white spruce. they bore from top down.

The hemlocks in my area have really been hit hard. Then the gypsy moths also ate every leaf off off the oaks.

to love NE PA!!
by pagarden on July 24, 2006 02:48 PM
****You can move this to pests if you want...****

well we cut down the tree today. [tears] as we were sawing we saw 1 fly out of the tree. there were probably more but we only saw 1. it is very weird looking. i've been looking on the net forever and can't seem to find an exact picture. closest i can come is a pales weevil BUT with a smaller snout. maybe this guy wasn't fully grown yet? i saved it in the kids firefly jar. i'm taking it up to the local nursery place and ask them tomorrow. i'll let ya know.
by summergirl on July 26, 2006 04:52 PM
Pagarden
I was wondering if you were able to get your pest identified?
Please post when you do, Im very interested.
thanks
by thistledown on October 08, 2006 05:04 PM
Any word on this pest?

We have some 5 to 6 foot spruces just outside our front door. I noticed swellings on the branches as well as curled dead tips. I looked it up and they were Spruce Galls (from a small aphid-like insect)I found pics on the web:
The swellings:
 -
 -

The brown curling:
 -

The reason I mention this, is because I ALSO noticed weevil-like bugs in the kitchen near the windows (close to these trees). I have been worried about my rice/flour/cereals, but thanks to your post...I am thinking they are coming in from outside. Insects are often drawn to plants that are already sick/infested, right?

I googled tree weevil and got the white pine weevil. Interestingly, they are often called SPRUCE weevils, as they also favour that tree.
http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/entomology/weevil/about_e.html

I don't know if you've solved your mystery, but I think you solved mine!
Thanks!
[Smile]
AT

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bugs and Spiders| Next thread: Bugs need help FAST »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: