The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rooting Crepe Myrtle and/or Rose of Sharon

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rooting Clematis| Next thread: rooting hibiscus »
Back to Thread index
by KKMedic on July 06, 2006 04:31 PM
My mother just bought a house that has a big yard overflowing with plants that haven't been cared for in a few years. In the process of cleaning up, I got a few small crepe myrtles from runners/suckers that popped up. The roots are minimal and small on them so I am trying to find out exactly what I need to do to help them survive since there isn't much root to feed it. Should I go ahead and put it in the ground (temps are in the upper 90s here and very dry this summer), or pot it and keep it moist then transplant in the fall, or put it in water to help it root better. What can I put on it to help more roots grow?
I also have a clipping from her Rose of Sharon... what do I need to do to root it?
Thanks a million
by TulsaRose on July 06, 2006 11:19 PM
The few things that I'm propagating during this hot weather are potted up and kept in a shady area on the patio. They get lots of bright light but don't get overpowered by too much sun and it's easier to remember to water them almost daily. By cool weather, they should be ready to go in the ground. I've had really good luck with Rose of Sharon cuttings.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by KKMedic on July 07, 2006 02:43 AM
Do you use anything other than potting soil to help?

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by TulsaRose on July 07, 2006 04:19 AM
Nope, just plain ol' potting soil. Lots of gardeners use rooting hormone but I ran out several years ago and never bothered to buy more. lol! I think the key to successful cuttings is shade and water.

Rosie

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by luis_pr on July 12, 2006 06:02 AM
Rooting hormone is usually not needed as they root in 3-4 weeks. You can replace by Liquid Seaweed (1/2 capful of water per gallon of water) if you wish. Either spray it on the leaves or water around the roots. They are very tough trees and require little maintenance. The start of the summer season is a good time to root cuttings. You can transplant to their final location in the Fall or Winter. They are almost like weeds this time of the year in this part of Texas.

I like your doggie picture, Rosie! That seems to be the I-can-do-no-harm look. Ha!

Luis
by TulsaRose on July 12, 2006 09:12 AM
Thank, Luis...she is the Queen. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by jbaby7162000 on August 07, 2006 03:24 AM
hi can u actually root crepe myrtle in water?

joanne
by jbaby7162000 on August 07, 2006 03:26 AM
how long will it totake rose of sharon to sprout.?im just full of questions.huh

joanne
by jbaby7162000 on August 07, 2006 03:27 AM
can anyone tell me if i can keep a washington palm tree contained in a pot?

joanne

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rooting Clematis| Next thread: rooting hibiscus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: