The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dogwood trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: dogwood trees| Next thread: Dogwood Winter »
Back to Thread index
by char75803 on June 11, 2006 04:39 AM
I had two dogwood trees in my front yard that I planted 4 or 5 years ago. Well, this year, I had to dig one of them up because it died. Now, I am worried about the other one. I am thinking that something is eating on it. The leaves are starting to turn brown and curl up. There are little holes in the leaves. But I have not seen any bugs on it at all. Any ideas?
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 06:53 AM
The little holes may have nothing to do with the browning. Hot, dry wind will cause that, but one disease in specific can cause it, too, anthracnose. You might try to Google it and see if that's it. Is the tree in the sun or shade? Is it protected from the wind?
It could be various other things, though, over- or under-watering, fertilizer burn, damage to the roots by insects or burrowing animals, etc. If you could post pics and/or give information about watering, soil, etc. that would be helpful. Also, what part of Texas are you in? Have you been having lots of rain?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by char75803 on June 11, 2006 07:27 AM
Hi Dave,
My dogwood tree is in the sun and not really protected from the wind. Usually I water the tree when I water my little flowers that are planted under it. Usually daily. I am in Southeast Texas and no we haven't had much rain. I am trying to post some pics of it, but I really don't know how so let's see.
by char75803 on June 11, 2006 07:32 AM
ok i guess I can't figure it out, but if you are still here maybe you can IM me on yahoo messanger and I can show you the pics there. Or you can tell me how to put them up here.
by peppereater on June 11, 2006 09:01 AM
I use photobucket. You set up a free account, then you can click on "submit multiple pictures" and choose up to 8. Once they're there, you highlight the IMG title below a pic, rightclick, hit copy, come back to the reply window and paste. Photobucket automatically resizes your photos, so you don't have to do that.

-
Dave
by char75803 on June 11, 2006 02:00 PM
hi dave,
I have emailed the pictures to you. I really appreciate your help. thx.
by The Plant Doc on June 11, 2006 02:32 PM
There is a dogwood blight across the nation. The best thing that you can do is remove any dead branches as they appear. Make sure the tree gets enough water, and fertilizing can help its longevity. Unfortunately once it gets this disease it is only a matter of time, but with good care that can be stretched out for a few years

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on June 12, 2006 06:31 AM
char...I looked at your pics. They resemble pics of my tree. Look at the harsh exposure where mine is.
 -

These leaves show some of the cupping and ridging yours have, as well as some of the browning.
 -

-
Mine does this each year, and I blame it on the poor location. I really wanted a dogwood for this location, and it looks great in bloom, but it suffers some damage. In a location with some shade and protection from wind, I don't think it would have these problems. I water well once 2 twice a week, and the roots are shaded by a groundcover rose. It's been there 5 years, and I consider it healthy. I'll see if i can figure out how to copy a couple of your pics and post them here.

-
Dave
by The Plant Doc on June 12, 2006 04:06 PM
Dave, your pics appear as if the growth has been stunted such as it would if it were attacked by aphids, but it is kinda hard to tell.
Char, and Dave

It would be easier for me to show you what the leaf would look like while it is being attacked by the blight.
Close up of leaf
http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/gardenerscorner/dogwood_leafspots.jpg

Picture of infected tree
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/jos/Dead%20Limb2.jpg

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on June 13, 2006 02:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Plant Doc:
Dave, your pics appear as if the growth has been stunted such as it would if it were attacked by aphids, but it is kinda hard to tell.

Mike, you've got a point, but the tree has never had signifigant pests, and I've never seen aphids on any leaves I've checked.

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dogwood trees| Next thread: Dogwood Winter »
Back to Thread index