The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ButterFly Bush..How to root cuttings?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: butterfly bush...Thief!| Next thread: butterfly bush ?info? »
Back to Thread index
by ShazzieMc on June 18, 2006 10:30 PM
My neighbor cut off long branches of his butterfly bush..I brought them home, cut off the lower leaves,and put them in water..What is the easiest way to root the cuttings I have?
I really want them to root!!!It's a great varigated bush. It would be ashame to let all these great pieces go to waste..I'm ready to start them NOW..if anyone has any ideas!

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by TulsaRose on June 19, 2006 02:17 AM
Shazzie, I've had great success with rooting cuttings taken from new\soft wood stems. I wish I could give you a magic formula for success but all I do is stick them in a pot of good soil, water as needed and fertilize after a month or so. They are a very forgiving plant when it comes to abuse. :-)

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ShazzieMc on June 19, 2006 04:46 AM
Thank You TulsaRose. That's kinda what I was gonna do anyhow...I figured if it works WOOHOO [thumb] If it don't.. [Razz] .I think I just needed someone else to tell me what to do!!
Do you use a rooting Hormone? How long did it take for yours to flower?..Fingers crossed I'm going out to plant em right now!!!
I'll let ya know how it goes..
PS...I'm still open to more suggestions I have a feeling I will be getting more cuttings..He wants to cut it down cause it's takin up too much space..but he won't just give me the darn thing..I think he just likes to see me worry if I'm doing it right!

~ Albert Einstein ~
by Bill Swiderski on June 19, 2006 05:13 AM
You can also buy "rootTone" and dip the cut ends into and place insoil. This helps rooting start.
by ShazzieMc on June 19, 2006 05:26 AM
Thanks Bill! I know all about "Rootone" it's my favorite tool..I use it on all of my house plants.
I'm new to gardening..about 2 years..so I'm not real sure how to propagate my perennials yet..but with help from nice folks like y'all I'll learn pretty quick..I even think I want to go to school for Horticulture..So keep all the good ideas coming..I need 'em! [wavey]

~ Albert Einstein ~

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bush...Thief!| Next thread: butterfly bush ?info? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: