The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Staker's Remorse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Staghorn fern base?| Next thread: Staking a diffenbachia »
Back to Thread index
by sgroth on June 18, 2006 03:00 AM
I have a beautiful, 7-foot tall split-trunk avocado tree that I started from seed about 4 years ago. It's growing like a weed in sandy soil and full Florida sun.

I should put an asterisk after "beautiful" and "7-foot" because those describe my tree only when it is tied to the 9-foot stake I pounded 3 feet into the ground near the base of the tree to "protect" it from last year's hurricanes.

Early last week, I awoke to find my tree lying on flat on the ground, not uprooted, but both trunks bent over like overcooked spaghetti. The aged strips of t-shirt which had secured the trunks to their stake were no match for Alberto's 30 mph winds.

I quickly retied the tree to its stake -- a little looser this time, but I now realize that the stake is a crippling crutch that my tree will outgrow long before it bears fruit.

How do I strengthen the trunks of my tree which are now too weak to support its top-heavy foliage?

Thanks for your help!
by peppereater on June 18, 2006 04:05 AM
Tie the trunk lower, then progressively move the tie lower every couple months, or anytime the trunk seems strong enough. You can then leave a loose tie 1/3 or 1/2 way up the trunk as a precaution.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Tonya on June 18, 2006 05:14 AM
Good luck with the avacado...nice to know that if mine root, I will know what to do! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Longy on June 18, 2006 05:23 AM
I'd remove some of the foliage sgroth. The tree canopy has developed quickly and the stake has made the tree reliant. The trunk must still be very soft wood to bend so much without snapping.
To encourage further lateral root growth, fertilize the tree out past the dripline to encourage the roots out. Also, bury the rootzone in mulches and compost to give the soil more weight. Or next time the wind gets up you may find the whole thing has been uprooted. Don't be afraid to prune your avocado. Although they can become a huge tree, they can also be kept to a manageable size by regular light pruning.
Anytime you stake a young tree, ensure there is still enough lateral movement to allow the trunk to become used to the effects of wind. This will toughen the trunk up as it grows.

-
The secret is the soil.
by tkhooper on June 18, 2006 06:11 AM
My avocados aren't spiked but I am growing a couple per hole. I hope I don't have that problem as they get bigger.

Thanks for the info about spreading the fertilizer out around the edge of the drip line. I'm going to do that.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Staghorn fern base?| Next thread: Staking a diffenbachia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: