The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kleims Hardy Gardenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Kiwi Pollination| Next thread: Kneeling »
Back to Thread index
by Fragrantsky on June 15, 2006 07:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought two kleim hardy Gardenia, i live in washington state and was wondering how to care for care for this plant?

Thank you.
by luis_pr on June 17, 2006 04:37 PM
Hello, Fragrantsky. Care for it just as you would care of any other gardenia, except this one is hardy to Zone 6.

Soil - Gardenias like acidic well draining soil so ammend your soil (if necessary). Use iron chelated products if you have alkaline soil and the leaves turn chlorotic (the veins are green but the rest of the leaf is yellow). Low rainfall areas of Central and Western Washington soils are commonly in the neutral to alkaline range. My soil here in Texas is also alkaline so I ammend my soil with organic compost and use iron chelated products as needed. Now, you do not have to go overboard trying to maintain your Ph Levels below 6.0 as gardenias will tolerate slightly alkaline or neutral Ph in their soils. You just have to learn to identify when the Ph has turned too alkaline by looking for iron chlorosis signs.

Sun - Morning sun (part shade) or dappled sun is best. Remember that Full Sun is at least 6 hours so make it less than 4 or 5 hours. The eastern side of the house or the eastern side of trees is usually a good location. When planting under trees, there is always the possibility that roots from the tree will try to absorb the water meant for the gardenia so do not plant the bush near the trunk.

Water - Keep the soil moist but not wet. You know when to water exactly if you dig a finger about 2-3 inches deep. If it feels dry then water it. Never water the leaves but water the soil around the plant. This prevents fungal diseases.

Fertilize - I fertilize monthly with cottonseed meal (available is most nurseries) about 1/4-1/2 cup for a small plant. Cottonseed is a slow-release food that, on its own, slightly acidifies the soil as bacteria decompose it. Another alternative is Holly-Tone from The Espoma Company. Spread the fertilizer around the drip line, away from the main trunk. Iron chelated products are available at most good nuseries, specially ones that sell lots of acid-loving plants in alkaline soil.

Misc - Expect some bud drop to occur when first planted outside as the plant begins to get used to your garden, when you water too much or too little, when outside temps fluctuate wildly, when you transplant it, etc.

Until the plant is established in about a year, give more attention to root development issues/problems than to lack of bloomage.

Good luck with your new plant, Luis

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Kiwi Pollination| Next thread: Kneeling »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: