The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shade tree suggestions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Shade roses| Next thread: shade-loving veggies... »
Back to Thread index
by gardengal on June 03, 2006 04:37 AM
Hi,
I need suggestions for a nice size, 20-30 ft, tree that will provide shade to my cute un-insulated house. We'd like something that grows fairly quick and has a nice canopy. This will be in our front yard so I'd prefer to not to do a fruit tree (DH was thinking of an avocado for a while). Any suggestions? It would be in full sun, surrounded by the lawn.

I've noticed there is a type of maple that has the beautiful red leaves in the fall where some of the maples just turn brown and crispy here. (So. Cal., zone 9) Anyone have any info on the different types of maples? The maple that turns red here has big leaves, so I don't think its a Japanese, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Kristen

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by Longy on June 03, 2006 07:46 AM
Poinciana. Delonix regia
http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/thumbnails/html/delonix_regia.htm

-
The secret is the soil.
by eClaire on June 03, 2006 08:34 AM
hybrid poplar

Claire
by gardengal on June 03, 2006 09:04 AM
Cool tree, Longy. Thanks for the suggestion.

eClaire, I googled the hybrid poplar. That's a great looking tree. Thanks!

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by The Plant Doc on June 04, 2006 02:38 AM
Mt Ash. They are fast growers and attract birds

Honey locust. Nice shape, and attract birds

Bradford Pear. Nice flowers in spring

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by gardengal on June 06, 2006 09:58 AM
Thanks Plant Doc!

My hubby had time to play today and found the following website... fast growing trees

I am in between the October Glory and the Tulip Poplar. Anybody have one of these trees?

Thanks!

Kristen

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on June 09, 2006 02:21 AM
tulip poplar will grow way past 30 feet.

For your area I would suggest a Bauhinia Blakeana, hong kong orchid tree . It has unique leaves & beautiful flowers. It stays within your range 0f 30 feet.

Make sure you go with a 'blakeana', they are sterile & produce no volunteer trees.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shade roses| Next thread: shade-loving veggies... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: