The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When squirrels lose their nuts

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by woodchuck on May 31, 2006 03:30 AM
While mowing yesterday I noticed a new (to me) type of weed in the lawn, taking notice of that and saw a seedling tree-black walnut;COOL. So as I finish cutting the lawn I keep my eyes glued to the grass in front, 10 seedlings not much taller than the grass, time to get a shovel and transplant to the garden for a couple years YaY squirrels. Then, this morning I'm checking the compost pile and the strawberries(almost ready) and here's a BW 18" tall, way cool, and find 10 more about 12" and to top off the good start to the morning my kids woke up soft and easy and ate their breakfasts without a peep. Now, if only the rain would hold of untill I can till/prep some unseeded rows in the garden.
by weezie13 on May 31, 2006 06:49 AM
Just remember, that tree carries juglone in it!!!
Black Walnut Fact Sheet

I have a ba~zillion of them here.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by woodchuck on June 01, 2006 06:16 AM
My place must be the exception to a lot of rules, this being one on the long list. Last years excellent growth garden was shaded by 6 black walnut, there's over 100 on this place and everything grows just fine around them, grass, trees, flowers, veggies, weeds, and I have some butternut also. I know the horse people around here don't want any bedding material with BW in it, they get real sick when they eat it.

Thanks for the info though, good list.
by Frisha on June 01, 2006 07:17 AM
Are you positive it is Black Walnut there is a weed tree that looks alot like it but grows alot faster and is alot more prolific, cann't rememeber the name of it right off atm though ;-/
by Budman on June 02, 2006 05:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that information Weezie. I always learn something new everytime I get on here. I have dug a lot of holes in my day and I remember how strong an odor I would get when cutting through BW roots. May be related to that toxic substance....
by weezie13 on June 02, 2006 05:57 AM
And they have a root system like you wouldn't believe... very long roots...

And the nuts, they drive me [nutz] [perplexed]
There is so many of them...

I wrote just a bit ago about this, but when I was pregnant and did a lawn sweep of the yard.. and just dumped the sweepers loads there, hopin' to move it.. but ended up having a C~section and didn't get to it... that spring, I had over *and I'm not exaggerating* 100 trees..
I know there was, cause I ended up giving them to a friend who owns a Christmas tree farm.. and they took 100 and left a bunch still there...

*That was only one season*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by woodchuck on June 02, 2006 07:06 AM
Yes, I'm quite sure, it's a cash crop for retirement planning around here, so is cherry. There are not many seedlings that show up around here, in four years that we've been here this would be a bumper crop, so to speak, so I'll be taking advantage. The root systems, as far as I can tell does not spread out much and is certainly not close to the surface, I was not aware that BW had an evil twin, something to look into, " Igor, get me the Audobon book"," yesss master".

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: