The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Normal for a Petunia???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Norfolk Pines| Next thread: North facing window »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on June 04, 2005 06:17 AM
I got petunias from Sam's club last week. I have 2 questions.

#1...The one basket is doing GREAT, but the other one is not looking soo great. The flower have wilted and I've pulled them off, but it just looks.....uh...tired. I've switched the plant's positions to see if that was the problem...but no. I don't know what to do with the tired looking one and I don't want it to die!! [Eek!] Does it need miracle grow already?? Help! I need advice.

#2...When I put the petunia pots into the car, a piece broke off, but it had a couple of flowers on it, so I stuck it in a vase of water and put it on the table. After a few days, the flowers wilted and I pulled them off and noticed that the stem is starting to send out some roots. Is this normal for this plant??? How long should I keep it in just water before I plant it into soil? Should I put miracle grow in the water??

-
 -

-
by 4Ruddy on June 04, 2005 08:00 AM
Jenn...I am no expert by any means but I have a lot of petunias...when mine get wilty it is usually because the bugs are eating on them. Worms are rally bad to get to petunias...I would try (what ever you use for bugs) first. I personally like sevin dust (I'm not an organic kinda guy). Mine in the pots also require a lot of water..they tend to dry out quickly.
#2. When I brake a stem off..I just stick it back in the soil...I don't do the water thing first. I have always had really good luck just popping that baby back in the dirt and they take right off. Someone else may have some better advice...I only know what works for me...and I make it up most of the time!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by hisgal2 on June 05, 2005 02:26 AM
I don't see any signs of bugs, but now they are both getting a bit wilty. No worms because they are in hanging baskets with potting soil. BUT, I haven't watered them in a couple of days because it has been rainy here and I assumed that they had gotten rained on. I will check on that now and see if maybe that is the issue. But, I was watering them both every evening and the one was fine and the other wasn't. I just don't understand.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Norfolk Pines| Next thread: North facing window »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: