The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lilac's

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lilac questions| Next thread: Lilac Seed »
Back to Thread index
by cathygel on May 18, 2006 05:18 AM
looking for a really really dark  purple variety can't seem to find one at my local nurseries. any sugjestion,does anyone know name or variety?
by Rosepetal on May 18, 2006 05:37 AM
We've been looking around for the dark purple and fragrant lilacs too.

What I've found is it is the "common lilac" that we wanted. Maybe that is what you're looking for as well. This is the one you see most often in the towns with full blooms and very fragrant.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Jorgie on May 18, 2006 11:51 AM
Our dark one I believe is a Double French Lilac.

If I remember correctly we got it in Faribault, MN.

Jorgie
by tamara on May 19, 2006 12:37 AM
I have the 'Sensation' variety, it is darker than most and is a purple colour. The edges of the flower petals are rimmed with a white band, it is truly the prettiest lilac that I have.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Squirrel on May 24, 2006 03:54 PM
I have a dwarf lilac because we have a small yard. Should I take the old blooms off? And if I want to prune it, when is the best time? It is the cutest little shrub!! Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by joclyn on May 24, 2006 05:03 PM
if you dead head the blooms it should keep producing them throughout the summer.

prune lightly, if you need to, as next year you will have less blooms (the blooms form on existing growth for the following year).
by Squirrel on May 25, 2006 02:48 AM
Thanks once again, Joclyn. I`m learning so much this morning. I`m going to dead head and see what happens. It`s not ready for pruning, yet, so I`m going to let that go. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by joclyn on May 25, 2006 06:20 AM
you're welcome!

if you've just planted the lilac, let it go a year or so until you prune it...then the root system will be well established and that's always a good thing! [Wink]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lilac questions| Next thread: Lilac Seed »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: