The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Apple Tree Sproutling?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Apple Tree| Next thread: Apple Tree--Yellow Spotted Leaves »
Back to Thread index
by IcyGarden on May 17, 2006 01:52 PM
A few weeks ago I planted 2 apple seeds i found in the fridge for fun. I passed by and saw this small sproutling popup.
 -

Is this the apple seed i planted? Im not quite sure, but the skin partially covering the top looks like the seed's skin layer.

If it is, was is the possibility of it actually growing to be a tree.

Not that I expect to grow a red delicious apple tree that will grow in 6 years, but im just curious.
by hjolicoeur on May 17, 2006 02:08 PM
Believe it...

It looks like it is the sprout of an apple tree! If you are going to let it grow be sure to protect it REALLY well in the winter!

If you can do it so can I! I have been looking at 3 year old trees here and they want $75! EACH!!

~Heidi
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 03:41 PM
I didn't know that apple seeds would sprout !
I'm gonna try it too !
I wonder if orange seeds would?

-
 -
by kyjoy on May 18, 2006 11:54 AM
My 8 yr. old granddau. ate an apple and ask if she could plant the seed. I said, "Sure, why not," never dreaming something would come of it. Guess what? Three of the four seed sprouted and now we have three baby apple trees. Now she wants to dig them up and take them home for replanting. You guess it. I said, "Sure, why not." So, I guess we'll see.
by IcyGarden on May 27, 2006 03:33 PM
It looks like i have a second sprout!

-

This one came up right after the second one, so thats 2/3 seeds i planted that came up.

After a while, the first one started to grow its first leaves.
(one of the seed leaves were damaged [Frown] can it survive?)

-

However, the leaves of the second one were already there!

-

One thing i noticed was the color of the leaves were different. They must be two different species from the same apple!

However, the seedlings turns out to be less the a foot close. I've read that is not good for trees to be too close together. I was thinking of digging and replanting one of them, or is it neccessary? [dunno]
by Michael15r on May 27, 2006 04:37 PM
Very interesting, I never thought that seeds from those fruits would grow. When I was little I planted a lemon seed, never grew. Then once I planted a Cherry seed, never grew. Interesting to know. Making me what to try again, since this maybe the right time. Who knows! Good photos!

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by tamara on May 28, 2006 12:25 AM
Planting seeds from the tree can give you different results, it's a genetic thing.(just like having your children). This is because most trees are grafted on different stock.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Apple Tree| Next thread: Apple Tree--Yellow Spotted Leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: