The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weigela

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: weezie13 or anyone?| Next thread: weigelia pruning »
Back to Thread index
by Sabrianna on May 17, 2006 01:49 PM
I have 3 weigela shrubs...one that is leafing finely...one that just started getting leaves on 2 branches...and one that doesnt look like its alive...last year all 3 were gorgeous. Could it be a slow start due to cooler temps and high moisture in late April-early May?
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 12:31 AM
Hard to say. Are they all the same variety? What variety are they? What zone are you in?

John - Zone 6
by Squirrel on May 18, 2006 03:04 AM
Got my first Weigela Shrub this year. It`s beautiful but small. That`s what I wanted because we have a small garden. It is blooming now. I`m not sure how long it will be in bloom. I understand that you prune after it`s done blooming. Does it bloom again in the fall. I`m in zone 6b.

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 03:35 AM
Squirrel, my wine n' roses weigela has been in the habit of throwing off some blooms in late summer, but nothing like the spring show. Mine hasn't bloomed yet. Don't plan it staying that small though unless you prune it annually after it flowers. This is a pic of mine from it's second year before I did any pruning...

-

John - Zone 6
by Sabrianna on May 18, 2006 12:01 PM
All 3 weigela are "Red Prince Weigela". We do prune only after the first blooms are exhausted. We are in zone 4, but the zone recommendations on the tag of the plant says 4-8, so I dont think winter chill was a factor. Thank you for any suggestions.
by Squirrel on June 18, 2006 06:40 AM
What a beautiful weigela!! [clappy] Mine has the same color flower, but the leaves are a deeper color. [flower] [flower] It's done blooming and is growing just fine. I guess I will have to prune it next year and every year thereafter to keep it on the small side. I so wish I had a larger yard. There are so many shrubs I would love to have. My one son bought the weigela for me for Mother's Day. Wasn't that nice. [clappy] [thumb] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by tkhooper on June 18, 2006 07:31 AM
I've got three cuttings of the variegated weigela from a bush down the block. The owner is letting it be choked out by weeds. It just makes me sick. I tried talking to him but he doesn't speak english and didn't want to bother with me. So one day I went past and just snapped off a branch. Maybe I can clone it maybe I can't but I couldn't just watch it be ruined. It's such a pretty plant. It has white and pink blossoms and I just love it.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: weezie13 or anyone?| Next thread: weigelia pruning »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: