The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help!!!!! with Caragana shrubs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: NEED HELP| Next thread: need help.....star jasmine »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 03:32 AM
HI [Smile]

I have a different question.

How do you control the grass underneath a row of caragana trees that we don't rotertill any more.

In a small area you can cut it out by hand or if they are planted further apart then the lawnmower does a nice job.

I'm wondering how you do it. Any new ideas! [thinker]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on May 17, 2006 06:01 AM
how about putting some mulch down?
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 09:41 AM
Has anyone used roundup? And if so how do you use it?

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on May 17, 2006 11:25 AM
i'd be leary of putting any kind of product down! you don't want to do anything to damage to the trees!!

put down a few layers of newspaper (at least 6 sheets) and then cover with some nice mulch.

to keep the grass from coming back, i'd suggest some kind of barrier be put down to block the spread of the grass roots. there is black plastic edging (very sturdy) that you could cut to fit the area. it can be inserted into the soil all the way up to the top (which has a nice curved lip on it) so that it's not visible. it will block the roots from the grass spreading into that area again.

you could also do some kind of brick border or those paving stones. if you want that kind of look...i get the impression you don't tho [Smile]

edit:

this isn't the same brand that i have...you can get the idea of what i'm talking about tho

edging stuff
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 12:02 PM
Thanks bunches,

No I want to stay natural as possible. Thanks for your ideas.

-
 -
by hjolicoeur on May 17, 2006 01:45 PM
I just use landscape fabric and lots of mulch, then we mow right up close to it to keep the grass at bay... sometimes I have to pull it up by the roots, but I get to re-use that as fill too......

~Heidi
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 04:15 AM
rose, that's the thing with that edging stuff - it can be pounded down so that it's barely visible and the grass will grow tall enough so that you can't see it.

vinca would be a nice ground cover too. if it's sunny enough, the vinca will fill in nicely and keep the grass from growing...and that edging stuff will keep the vinca in check, too.
by Rosepetal on May 18, 2006 05:41 AM
Thanks again

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: NEED HELP| Next thread: need help.....star jasmine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: