The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weeping willow close to septic field.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Budman on May 11, 2006 07:35 AM
I have always heard that it is unwise to plant a weeping willow tree anywhere near a drainfield or water line as the roots will go seek the water and cause damage to the pipes and prevent the septic field from working properly. Does anyone have any up to date advice on this issue? I have a perfect place to plant a Weeping Willow. It is always moist and the soil is quite good, but my Septic field is only thirty feet away and I dont want any problems. I was wondering if the use of PVC pipe may have stopped this from being an issue. Appreciate any input on this.
by JV on May 11, 2006 06:57 PM
Budman from what I have been told you still don't plant a willow tree anywhere near a leaching field or any kind of water line. Also here they reccomend not near a house or other structure. But I remember an Uncle in New Mexico had one next to his house for over 50 years but this was not near his cistern or any water.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Budman on May 12, 2006 01:11 AM
Thanks JV! I believe you are right about that. I know the tree would do well in that area, because the ground is really wet most of the year as it is a drainage area anyway. My drainfield sits uphill from there about 30 feet or so. I was just hoping that since the area was so wet, that the roots would not need to search out water. I just dont want to ruin a brand new $5,000.00 drainfield. I do appreciate your response. Take care..
by hick on May 13, 2006 08:33 AM
I have met many willows in my limited time out here in the country and all of them have been to visit my well, my sump pump (yes, it IS inside the basement!) or my foundation. I can only guess that the latest soon to be victem is the neighbours some 100 feet away. I no longer doubt their lust for the easy way.

still trying to get it right.
by The Plant Doc on May 13, 2006 10:14 AM
Yep, willows have an uncanny nack of finding water even inside plastic or pvc pipes. They can trash a septic field and or tank in just a few years!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by hjolicoeur on May 13, 2006 01:14 PM
Gee, that is funny. My dad has a willow about 15 feet in front of his house, 5 feet from the well and the septic pipes run about 5 feet away as well. He hasn't had any problems and it has been there more than 40 years.

~Heidi
by The Plant Doc on May 14, 2006 12:57 AM
Heidi, Wow! he is lucky! Is it planted right next to a larger source of water, like a pond?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by hjolicoeur on May 14, 2006 03:16 AM
No, no ponds... just near the well and septic lines.

~Heidi
by Budman on May 16, 2006 05:49 AM
Thank you all for your input on this topic. I guess it just goes to show that in Nature there is nothing set in stone. There is always an exception to the rule. I just think that I would be crazy to plant a Weeping Willow knowing that there is a strong chance that it would damage or ruin my brand new Septic Field. There is just too much monies involved. Thanks all!!...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: