The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

unhealthy kumquat?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by flycats on April 19, 2006 05:16 AM
My kumquat has done nothing since I planted it in a big ceramic pot last fall. The only new leaves it has grown are mostly yellow (chlorosis??) and then they fall off. The green leaves are dull. No new growth. What kind of fertilizer should I use? Miracle grow does nothing. I heard that it takes a few weeks of warm weather to give them a kick start, am I being too impatient? THANKS for all of your help!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by Deborah L. on April 20, 2006 07:32 AM
I may be wrong, but all I can suggest is to treat the tree like any citrus. For citrus, you need citrus food, Miracle Gro is more like an occasional vitamin drink, not really food.
Never let the tree dry out completely. Is it getting full sun? What size pot is she in?

-
 -
by flycats on April 26, 2006 06:26 AM
Deborah, it's in a big blue pot about 22 inches tall (see pic)  - This pic was from last fall when I first planted it. You can see the new growth is a little yellow...it just keeps getting worse. (the fruit has since ripened and been eaten!)
I just planted it last fall so it is in direct sun but has not been thru a summer yet. I will get some citrus food and see if it works. THANKS!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: