The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tree suckers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: tree stump fire removal| Next thread: Trees »
Back to Thread index
by pmprincipal on April 17, 2006 09:22 AM
I have a flowering tree that has so many suckers coming out of the base of the tree that it looks matted. What can I do to get rid of these and not kill the tree?
by The Plant Doc on April 17, 2006 10:26 AM
Snipping them off at the base with a pair of hand clippers would be your best bet.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on April 17, 2006 11:05 AM
I agree 100%. It won't hurt, it will only help.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by pmprincipal on April 17, 2006 08:11 PM
I have tried cutting them, but they still return. They are so many of them that they are choking out the other plants in the bed surrounding the bed. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your replies!
by The Plant Doc on April 18, 2006 07:41 AM
The plant will continue to push out new sucker growth. That is just the nature of the beast. You can try laying down one of those rubber mulch mats around the trunk, that may help, but there is no chemical solution out there, that will not harm the tree.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Longy on April 18, 2006 01:08 PM
Try rubbing them off by hand while they are small and green instead of cutting them after they get bigger. It may take them back closer to the trunk. If you keep on top of them while they are very small you will have less work to do. Works for citrus.

-
The secret is the soil.
by kyjoy on April 19, 2006 03:49 AM
I'm sorry. When I asked my Serviceberry question I didn't realize this topic had already been started.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: tree stump fire removal| Next thread: Trees »
Back to Thread index