The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Redcommendations for Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Red-headed Irishman| Next thread: Reemay »
Back to Thread index
by Frann on April 08, 2006 03:06 AM
Greetings everyone,
I am looking to plant a new tree in my front yard, but am not sure what to go with. I lost my crabapple last year, and the yard looks so bare now.
I would like to have a flowering tree, small to mid-sized, but a tree that doesn't fruit all that much ... a friend of mine has a white mulberry and, wowzers, the mess it makes -- the birds eat a few berries here and there, but I think the flies are the more voracious eaters.
The yard is in full sun, an area about 15' x 20' and I'm in a zone 5, and I would want a pest & disease resistant tree ... any recommendations would be great!!
by patches1414 on April 08, 2006 03:26 AM
Hi Frann! [wavey]

I love the dogwood trees and pink is my favorite. [Love] Many, many years ago when I was buying one the nurseryman told me it was a little harder to get the pink ones to grow, although but many people have been successful. Since I wasn't in the mood to be disappointed [Frown] I bought and planted a white one and it is beautiful! [Love] I'm in zone 5 too! Hope this helps. [muggs]

patches [kitty]

patches

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on April 08, 2006 03:31 AM
Why not another Crabapple?

Second choice would be Serviceberry....Amelanchier "Autumn Brilliance" Redbud, Weeping Cherry...

John - Zone 6
by Av8trx on April 08, 2006 03:34 AM
Frann - I have a pink weeping cherry and it is breath taking - it's not super big at all, and not very messy either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
by Bill on April 08, 2006 04:21 AM
Flowering Plum?

-
by kyjoy on April 08, 2006 11:45 PM
Last spring I planted a Serviceberry tree in my front yard. As a matter of fact it is blooming as we speak. Also, it produces berries the birds love. A word of caution: Be sure you purchase a tree because I also have a multi-stemmed Serviceberry Bush in my backyard. It blooms also and produces berries for the birds. I am in Zone 6.
by melcon6 on April 09, 2006 07:42 AM
I'm with Patches, I love, love, love flowering dogwoods, white, I've been wanting a Korean Dogwood (cornus kousa) for so long, but they are expensive, I want to start with a good sized one.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by joclyn on April 09, 2006 11:06 AM
yes, dogwoods are beautiful. i've got a penchant for weeping cherry, tho (and not enough room for one).

i took a look at the flowering plum that bill posted a link to...wow! i think that's my new fav! (still don't have anywhere to put a tree tho - either the water pipes or the overhead electric/phone/cable lines are in the way)
by The Plant Doc on April 09, 2006 09:56 PM
A Mountain Ash is a wonderful shade tree which produces red berries that stay on the tree, which the birds love! It grows rather quickly and will start producing fruit in a couple of years [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by RugbyHukr on April 10, 2006 10:10 PM
Flowering crabs are incredibly beautiful and do not produce fruit.

Also, flowering almond are spectacular, but have a shorter bloom season.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 10:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RugbyHukr:
Flowering crabs are incredibly beautiful and do not produce fruit.
Sure they do. Most of them anyway. Some varieties are sterile though. The fruit is a wonderful way to provide food for birds over the winter.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Red-headed Irishman| Next thread: Reemay »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: