The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

WEEPING WILLOWS???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Weeping Willows| Next thread: Weezie, I forgot the name »
Back to Thread index
by FLOWERCHILD74 on April 05, 2006 08:24 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IM GETTING INTO WITH A GREEN WEEPING WILLOW....I AM CONSIDDERING ONE OR A WISTERIA...AND IM STUCK ON MY CHOICES...

FLOWERCHILD74
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 11:07 PM
What sort of spot do you want to plant them in?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by flycats on April 06, 2006 12:05 AM
If you have a LARGE yard away from any sewer lines a weeping willow would be ok. The roots are very invasive. Be careful!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by FLOWERCHILD74 on April 06, 2006 07:17 AM
is this the same for the Weeping Cherry Trees ?

FLOWERCHILD74
by Triss on April 06, 2006 07:38 AM
If it is just a weeping kind of tree you are looking for, we have weeping birch in our yard and all over around this area and they are really cool trees too.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by flycats on April 06, 2006 11:31 PM
No just the willows as far as I know, have the invasive roots, etc.
I love the weeping cherries! I might get one eventually for my front patio. There are many weeping variety trees you can get As Triss mentioned.... I also like the weeping mulberrry. cool looking!

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by Saved by Grace on April 07, 2006 01:49 AM
How large of an area do they need? Can there be plants by them or will their roots mess with all surrounding plants and trees?

My husband is wanting 2 of them...one for the front yard and one for the back yard/or the side yard...the back yard is where all the sewer lines run...so maybe we should stick with the side yard and front yard...

Do you know how fast they grow per year?

A vessel of mercy.
by Triss on April 07, 2006 02:47 AM
Dunno about growth as we inherited ours. But it was planted right up next to the house and porch so if its roots are invasive, the homeowners are gonna have a time with it a few years from now.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 07, 2006 02:55 AM
quote:
Do you know how fast they grow per year?

I have some that are only about 4 or 5 years old, and they grow so fast that every winter I have to prune them back because I planted them too close to the power lines in the front yard.
In the picture below you can see the red lines I drew...that is where I pruned them to, and the picture was taken a few months later.

-

I start my weeping willows from cuttings about 3' long, and the one I started last summer is now about 8' tall, and it has new growth already this spring about 18 inches.

I love them...they are my favorite tree! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on April 07, 2006 03:13 AM
WOW, I did not know they grew that fast. I am gonna have to find a tree out here and get a few branches!

-
 -
by Saved by Grace on April 07, 2006 05:12 AM
WOW is right!!! I had no clue they were that fast of growers!

Well, where Jeremy wants them is away from power lines...but will be close to other plants and somewhat close to the house.

Do you know how far away from a house they should be planted? Will they bother any other plants with their roots? Do they require a lot of water?

I dont know anyone to get a cutting from around here, so we will just have to get one through a nursery I guess.

Thanks in advance!

A vessel of mercy.
by afgreyparrot on April 07, 2006 06:12 AM
Saved by Grace...if you know where a weeping willow tree is, even if you don't know the owners they would probably give you a piece if you asked. Both those trees came from one piece about 3' long I found while I was driving thru the Wendy's drive-thru...some guys had just pulled out that had cut a weeping willow tree down, and that little piece was all that was left laying there in the parking lot. I jumped out of the truck and got it, and cut it in half so I would have 2 trees. The rest is history! [Big Grin] I have sent pieces of those trees all over the United States!

If you can't find someone to get a cutting from, let me know.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Saved by Grace on April 07, 2006 08:36 AM
Thanks, I sent you a PM!

A vessel of mercy.
by flycats on April 07, 2006 10:29 PM
Have you ever seen a curly willow? Way cool! My friend has one in her yard!

by Saved by Grace on April 08, 2006 11:01 AM
never seen one...do you have any pics of one?

A vessel of mercy.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Weeping Willows| Next thread: Weezie, I forgot the name »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: