The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what is this thing??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: what is this please help| Next thread: What is Zabrina? »
Back to Thread index
by flwrgrdnmom on April 03, 2006 09:38 AM
There is a large bush growing at my mother-in-law's that is just beautiful (to me, anyway) but no one seems to know what it is. The leaves are very wide and the colors are kind of layered - dark green leaves for the most part, then towards the tip they are red, then the very newest growth is light almost lime green. In the spring there are round clusters of small white flowers that turn into round red berries in the fall through winter. The bush she has is about 8 feet tall, but there is a large tree (prob 30+ ft tall) behind her property line. I just love the colors but have no clue what it is. One neighbor said he just calls it a reverse red tip. I'll try to post a picture if I can get one. Thanks for any help!
by peppereater on April 03, 2006 10:10 AM
Red tip is photinia fraseri...I did a Google search, and it could be that you're talking about photinia glabra-
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=photinia+glabra&btnG=Search
It appears that some have pale green new foliage, and some red...the fraseri is always red, as far as I know...both have clusters of white flowers, but I have never seen berries on fraseri...I think the flowers may be sterile.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by flwrgrdnmom on April 03, 2006 10:14 AM
No, that's not it. The leaves are much wider, and tighter packed. And the red is vibrant, the new growth is lime green, and the flowers are very bright white and in big snowball-like clusters. Everything (the flowers, leave, berries)on the pix you posted are a lot looser than on the one I'm talking about. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Thanks for your help though!!!
by angelblossom on April 08, 2006 07:20 AM
I've seen that everywhere here in the Dallas Area and they are blooming like crazy right now like huge hedges I've seen them as tall as 8 foot I don't know the name but one house had them established like a fence along the sidewalk . My daughter has them in her yard but has been neglected I told her don't cut it down lets wait and see if it blooms(she had just moved in) I stirred up the dirt and put in epson salt down and now 3 weeks later they are blooming the clusters of white flowers as well. I didn't see 'berries of any sort' but that may come after the flowering the pictures that peppereater linked us too is REAL simular as a matter of fact I believe the photinia glabra is what I see around here and in my Daughters yard . [grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: what is this please help| Next thread: What is Zabrina? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: