The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crepe Myrtle in PA

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crepe myrtle fungus| Next thread: Crepe Myrtle w / a fungus!!!?! »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on March 01, 2006 10:12 PM
I tried 2 years ago to start cuttings I took from south new jersey- they all died so I gave up thinking they just won't grow here in NE PA. this summer I noticed there was a huge one growing behind our church! WOOHOO!!!! So how do I take from that big one and try to grow here? Do I take cuttings or does it send out little "suckers" that I can pull from the ground? Should I start in pots or can I stick right in the ground? And I'm assuming early spring would be best so it has all of summer to grow and establish itself right? Any help would be great!
by tkhooper on March 01, 2006 11:02 PM
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

This is a very good link for how to grow cuttings.

-
 -
by pagarden on March 02, 2006 06:11 AM
cool- thanks for the link- it was very informative! [Smile]
by flycats on March 07, 2006 05:08 AM
Are you sure it died? they don't even leaf out til very late!...sometimes they seem dead and they aren't. Don't bloom til mid-late summer

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by flycats on March 07, 2006 05:08 AM
Are you sure it died? they don't even leaf out til very late!...sometimes they seem dead and they aren't. Don't bloom til mid-late summer..this is in California

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by Jiffymouse on March 07, 2006 07:02 AM
my crepe myrtle hasn't leafed out yet, and i'm in the south! be patient!!
by pagarden on March 07, 2006 08:10 AM
yea- it was dead. i waited and waited and i tried bending the twigs to see if it was still alive- they were dead. it snapped and there wasn't even any green inside. but not to worry- i'm trying again this year and i have directions instead of just trying to wing it! so hopefully i'll succeed!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crepe myrtle fungus| Next thread: Crepe Myrtle w / a fungus!!!?! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: