The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

flowering quince, not flowering

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by flwrgrdnmom on February 27, 2006 10:02 PM
I have a flowering quince shrub that has been planted for over 2 years. It grows leaves on it just fine, but it has yet to flower. It is in a mostly sunny position, and seems to like it there, except for the flowering. Any ideas? (I'm in between zones 7 and 8.)
Thanks!!!
by tkhooper on March 03, 2006 09:39 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is when are you pruning the bush? Mike 57 who is in zone 7 found some growing wild and transplanted them to his yard so they shouldn't require much care at all. But then maybe it is the variety that is different. Mine would bare fruit in the fall. Is yours suppose to do that or is it flowers only?

-
 -
by flwrgrdnmom on March 06, 2006 12:05 AM
I believe it is flowers only, and it was taken from my mother-in-law's yard, so I'm assuming it is wild too. I've nver pruned it, as is was only about 12" tall when I planted it. It is now about 2 1/2'. I just don't know....
[dunno]

Thanks!
by peppereater on March 06, 2006 01:17 AM
Check it and see if it has buds on it now...in your zone it should be flowering or about to flower. If it has buds and they disappear, it may be birds eating the buds. Sparrows, for one. love to eat them.
One thing that can stop something from blooming is too much nitrogen fertilizer. That could cause it to put all its energy into green growth instead of flowers. You could try using a phosphate fertilizer.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by flwrgrdnmom on March 07, 2006 01:46 AM
I have yet to see buds form on it at all, and I've never fertilized it. Maybe that is the problem?
Thanks!
by peppereater on March 07, 2006 11:14 PM
If you work some bone meal into the soil, it will provide phosphorous for years to come.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by flwrgrdnmom on March 08, 2006 06:04 AM
Thanks! Will try it this year!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: