The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

i need awnsers to 2 tree questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 06:34 AM
I have 2 questions about trees. First, is it possible for freshly cut branches to sprout roots when submerged in water? Second, is it possible for seads to sprout while fully submerged in water?
by barleychown on February 17, 2006 07:00 PM
To answer your first question, sometimes. Mostly depends on the type of tree in question, as some root far easier than others.

As for seeds, I'm not sure. I think they will sprout, but unless they grow or get the green part out of the water quickly so they can breathe, they will just die and rot.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:02 PM
I'm with barley. Willows will root very easily, as will pussywillows. Lots of shrubs root easily. I'm not sure if an oak or pine would root well or not.
As barley said, once a seed has sprouted, it needs oxygen. If you pour off the water right away, they'll be fine. I soak okra and other seeds before I plant, but I get them out of the water as soon as I start to see green.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:28 PM
Thanks... Ive got 3 different kinds of seeds fully submerged in water in a cup and theyve been like that for 2-3 weeks and I was just wondering if it really works or if I should just throw them out.

Thanks again
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:32 PM
I have another question. I know its possible to fuse some plants together but is it possible to fuse any kinds of trees together?

I saw a show were they were growing grapes for wine and they needed a hardier root so they I think they say they graphed an american root to an english vine, and I was just wondering if that works for trees too.
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:34 PM
rubberband...change the water. I've noticed it can sour...it will also put fresh oxygen into the water.
You should see some kind of results soon. If not, you should find out whether the seeds you've got need stratification (chilling) before they'll germinate.

-
Dave
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubberbandman:
I have another question. I know its possible to fuse some plants together but is it possible to fuse any kinds of trees together?

I saw a show were they were growing grapes for wine and they needed a hardier root so they I think they say they graphed an american root to an english vine, and I was just wondering if that works for trees too.

Many times, as long as they're in the same family.
Peaches, plums and apricots, for instance, are in the same family, and I think you can graft any of these onto prune rootstock...I think.

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:47 PM
thanks again
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:52 PM
once more I have returned with another question. I am really knew to this and pretty much I don't know squat about plants. How long does it normally take a tree seed to sprout?
by peppereater on February 18, 2006 12:42 AM
rubberbandman...it all depends on the tree. If you know what you want to grow, let us know and someone will have detailed information for you. There are lots of little tricks for different seeds.

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 03:03 AM
Well their just seeds from trees in my yard and neither my dad or I know what kind of trees they are. If I can I'll get some pics of them on here and maybe someone will know what they are.
by weezie13 on February 18, 2006 11:41 AM
We LOVE pictures...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 12:40 PM
im not sure if i can though
by weezie13 on February 18, 2006 12:44 PM
How come????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by rubberbandman on February 18, 2006 01:53 PM
I dont really know how to upload pics to my cpu yet but my mom does.
by rubberbandman on February 27, 2006 03:58 AM
I got a few pics of the trees I was talking about so here they are.

tree number1
 -

tree number2
 -

tree number3
 -

I admit there not the greatest pics but hopefully they will help you identify them. And it will probably be hard to figure out because of the fact that there are no leaves on them.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: