The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP! japanese willow (hakaro nishiki)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by lams on June 26, 2004 10:29 PM
I have recently purchased and planted a japanese willow and now approximately 3 weeks later the leaves on the bottom are turning brown and it seems to be working its way up the plant - it appears to be dying - any suggestions?

lams
by weezie13 on June 28, 2004 05:28 PM
Hello fellow New Yorker~lams !! [wayey]
Glad you found us and glad you are here!

Can we ask what you did when and how you planted your willow???

Where you dug the hole......
type of soil........
sun/shade....
fertilizer some or none...
Your watering practices....
And how is your weather? Too much rain/Not enough?

That will help the gardeners that come thru answer your questions a little bit better!!!

Weezie

P.S. We have a bunch of NY gardener's here....
Lynne *plants~n~pots, Will Creed, Luvgardening, TomR, oh, just a bunch...
Look forward to talking with you on the boards!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bess of the Piedmont on June 28, 2004 06:17 PM
I have a corkscrew willow that is fabulous and I have given away many of it's sapling babies to friends. Inevitably the very first thing that happens is that the transplanted babies drop their leaves. It happens nearly every time. What I think is happening is that the tree is concentrating it's efforts on readjusting its roots after the move. If they just keep the tree watered, brand new leaves begin to appear anywhere from a few weels to a couple of months.

I warn my friends of this when I give them the trees, but a few of them have been impatient and have ripped the tree up and thrown it away, convinced it had died. The more patient ones wait and are rewarded by the presence of a lovely, graceful delight of a willow in their yard. So be patient! It may be working on its roots.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: