The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

apartment veggies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Apartment raised Quinaults?| Next thread: Aphids? »
Back to Thread index
by obezanna on July 28, 2006 09:35 AM
Hi everyone! I'm moving back to school soon and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for veggies that I could grow inside in containers. We don't have a ton of space, and alas, no balcony either. Any suggestions will help!

Thanks,
Lisa
by Longy on July 29, 2006 10:37 AM
How much direct sunlight will you get? Do you have a well lit room with morning sun or similar or just reflected light? It'll all come down to light.

-
The secret is the soil.
by obezanna on July 29, 2006 10:48 AM
I don't remember. I haven't looked at the place since last spring, when we signed contracts. I'm pretty sure there is a skylight upstairs, but I was thinking that I could supplement with grow lights.
by weezie13 on July 30, 2006 06:14 AM
We have a member here that may be able to help you..
What I would suggest is maybe take a peak thru some of his posts'...
His name is "noneofyourbusiness" and if you do a Member Directory search on him, you'll find alot of answers about indoor gardening...

I'll send him a PM you've got some questions..
*he's a wee~bit busy these days with a new wee~one that's at home now with big brother..
but he'll usually swing thru when stuff like this come thru..
He's had some wonderful gardens in his home..

Also another member "endoftheworld" had some luck with indoor gardening, tomatoes too, I'll see if he can send some help too.....

In the meantime, what kind of gardening/veggies/plants are you interested in doing????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obezanna on July 30, 2006 09:21 AM
Well, prolly some beans, peas, lettuce. I'm really open to suggestions. Me and my roommate really like to cook. (we met in the restaurant that we work at.) so just stuff to make good, healthy, tasty food. I've already started some herbs, I just need some food-ish plants.
by gardeningwaldo on August 02, 2006 04:19 PM
I live in an apartment without a balcony and use a plastic window box container (6 inches wide and deep and about 3 feet long) placed outside. I just put mine up against one wall of the apartment. Pick a wall with the least traffic to avoid vandalism problems. If the rabbits start eating your plants, you can put the box up on some buckets or pots to keep it high enough off the ground. The miracle grow moisture control soil does a good job of retaining moisture and I plant stuff like radishes, lettuce, herbs, and green onions. This works well in the spring and fall, and possibly winter depending on where you live.
I would focus on crops that mature quickly. With the radishes, I plant more shortly before I harvest so the new plants have a head start.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Apartment raised Quinaults?| Next thread: Aphids? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: