The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Begging for Cornbread recipes...

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Bees or Yellow Jackets?| Next thread: Beginner Composter »
Back to Thread index
by afgreyparrot on December 28, 2005 10:38 AM
I'm serious...I can't make good cornbread!

Any recipes appreciated...no matter how simple!
("Simple" is my middle name!) [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

...and there's some kinda cornbread you put creamed corn and cheese in...if anyone knows that one. [dunno]

Cindy Faye

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on December 28, 2005 10:45 AM
Here is mine, no cheese but I do use creamed corn.

Triss' Cornbread

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 can creamed corn

Mix all that together and put into a greased 8 or 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for about a half an hour.
When it comes out of the oven, I take butter and melt it all over the top.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on December 28, 2005 12:58 PM
Cornbread with creamed corn and cheese

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 1/2 cups medium-grind cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup cream corn
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Place the fat in a medium ovenproof skillet or in an 8 inch square baking pan over medium heat. Heat until good and hot, about 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the egg into the buttermilk. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, combining well (batter should remain lumpy not completely smooth); if it seems too dry, add another tablespoon or two of milk. Pour the batter into the preheated fat, smooth out the top if necessary, and place in the oven.

Bake about 30 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and the sides have pulled away from the pan; a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. Serve hot or warm.

Of course the jiffy mix is much easier and makes a good cornbread too.

-
 -
by Triss on December 28, 2005 01:09 PM
That one sounds good too Tammy.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by afgreyparrot on December 28, 2005 10:58 PM
Yum yum yum yum YUM!

These are perfect! [grin]

I've just been making the recipe on the side of the cornmeal bag... [Razz]
...it has no taste at all.

Thank you guys BUNCHES! [kissies]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on December 28, 2005 11:13 PM
It's funny the sweet like your is Triss I love in a bowl covered with milk/cream (I can't have cream anymore.)

But the other one I love with navy bean soup.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on December 28, 2005 11:32 PM
quote:
It's funny the sweet like your is Triss I love in a bowl covered with milk/cream
Wow, that just brought back a memory I had forgotten all about! When I was little we used to crumble leftover cornbread up and put it in a glass, pour milk over it and eat it.

I love the recipe with the corn and cheese to crumble into homemade soup. I've brought some home from family reunions before, but never made it.

I will now! [grin]

-
 -
 -
by Thornius on December 29, 2005 01:16 AM
Cindy, get yourself a pouch of Martha White's Fiesta Cornbread. It has little flakes of red and green peppers in it and is some of the best I have tasted. Or if ytou like a sweeter cornbread you can try a box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix. We use to mix raspberries into the batter for fruity corn muffins.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by tkhooper on December 29, 2005 02:20 AM
Hey thorn I'm definitely going to be on the look out for Martha White's Fiesta cornbread. That sounds good. And nine months out of the year I don't like to cook. It's just fall that has me in the kitchen every day. Never have understood why.

-
 -
by Thornius on December 29, 2005 10:34 AM
That Martha White cornbread comes in a pouch, you just add water. They change the name from time to time it may be called Mexican Cornbread now. It is delicious. I also joined a recipe sharing site called recipezaar.com. You publish your own recipes on this site or get recipes from others. My contributions were, "Aunt Pap's Cherry-Lemon Pie", and, "Maw's Homemade Glop" a chili recipe.

-
 -
by Thornius on December 29, 2005 02:08 PM
Cindy you're supposed to crumble up the cornbread in a glass of buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. Alternately, you can crumble up cornbread in a big bowl of pinto beans. The family I stayed about half the year with in the mountains of North Carolina when I was a boy, had pinto beans and cornbread for two meals a day, every day I ever stayed with them.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 29, 2005 02:40 PM
Cindy...another trick to REALLY good cornbread is to use a good home ground cornmeal. It is found on the same isle in the store as the processed meal...but it is so much better. The other thing is to put your skillet with a couple of Tbs of bacon grease in the oven and let it get really hot while you are making the cornbread...then when you pour the batter into the hot pan..you will hear it crackle..making a crunchy outside to it.
I don't put flour in my cornbread batter anymore...I have a friend that cannot have flour and so I found a recipe for the cornbread without it...it was SO much better than any I have had before..I just make it that way all of the time now...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on December 29, 2005 02:42 PM
Thornius, I'm with you on the cornbread & buttermilk. My grandmother made a pan of cornbread every day..at night we would have it with buttermilk for a snack. On "special" days...she would pop pocorn and we would have popcorn & buttermilk...that was such a treat!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by afgreyparrot on December 30, 2005 12:22 AM
Oh, man...you guys have me craving cornbread and soup beans now...with buttermilk!
Gotta get a pot started...Lola LOVES beans and cornbread...and I can try one of these recipes! [grin]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on December 30, 2005 06:15 AM
I let the beans soak overnight in a pan of water with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in it. Then I rinse really well before starting them in fresh water. Helps with the gas and the tinny flavor. But that's just me.

-
 -
by Fernie on December 30, 2005 09:13 AM
here is the southern cornbread my first mil taught me....I tweeked it just a leetle.

2/3 cup flour
1 - 1/3 cups corn meal (the stone ground kind like Vanessa says, and store it in the freezer so it won't get buggy)
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon sugar (I hate sweet cornbread, tastes nasty to me)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center
1 cup milk or buttermilk
3 large eggs lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
combine liquid ingredients in a small bowl with a wire whisk. Add to flour mixture, stiring just until moist. Spoon batter into a 10 inch caste iron skillet coated with bacon grease. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove from pan.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by afgreyparrot on December 30, 2005 09:32 AM
That sounds like the kind my dad makes.
He makes the BEST cornbread I've ever tasted...
...but he couldn't give me the recipe because he doesn't measure...just dumps stuff in.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on December 30, 2005 09:46 AM
Makes me want to run out and buy one of those cast iron skillets that I can't lift anymore lol.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on December 30, 2005 10:07 AM
That's all I cook with...old cast iron my great mother gave me.
You are right...it is SO heavy!

-
 -
 -
by angelblossom on December 30, 2005 10:47 AM
I love cast iron have several sizes when I make corn bread I preheat the oven when it's hot I put my cast iron pan in oven with bacon grease in it (enough to cover bottom) then make cornbread simular to Fernie's reciepe except I use buttermilk always> bacon grease instead of butter.> and honey instead of sugar.. some times I add 3/4 cup grated cheese and 1 small finely chopped jalopeno, when I add cheese and jalopeno, I eliminate the honey.

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on December 30, 2005 01:10 PM
When I was young and strong I had cast iron. Now i have cheap tin lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bees or Yellow Jackets?| Next thread: Beginner Composter »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: