The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please help!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Please give me your input...| Next thread: please help! »
Back to Thread index
by Deepanwita on April 13, 2006 11:19 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm back again, with updates and problems. My transplanted tomatoes seem to be doing ok, survived the transplantation.
 -

BUT, now, I seem to have some problem with the peppers and the zinnia plants. They seem to be under ATTACK [Frown] (
At first I thought its some kind of dusty mildew, so I sprayed them with "Garden safe" brand fungicide, but that did not seem to reduce the problem. Here are the pictures taken this morning to show what I'm talking about.

-
 -
 -

Also there are several blooms in my 1foot long pepper plants. Are these blooms ok? or is it too early? Should I pinch off the flowers? I already see one pepper growing to about 1 inch length.

The zinnia that I brought about one month ago does not seem to have grown at all and its in the same status since one month, and now these pests, dono't know what to do with them!!!

The hibiscus bloomed a lot , so far, but all those buds were already there when I brought it home from the nursery. But now that those buds are almost over, I don't see too many new growths. Also almost every day I see one leaf turning yellow. Here's a picture.

-
Someone, please suggest what is lacking that all my plants seem so unhappy!!!
My balcony faces the west and it gets direct sunlight from 3-7pm every day. also I water the hibiscus almost every alternate day, since I read that it likes to be moist. I water the remaining plants as needed (when they turn day).

I would really apprecate any inputs.

Thanks a lot!
Deepanwita

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/deepanwita/Garden_2006/
by peppereater on April 13, 2006 11:27 PM
I can't see your pictures...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Deepanwita on April 13, 2006 11:45 PM
Sorry, I put the images in the .jpeg format earlier. Now I have changed to .gif format.You should be able to see them.

by peppereater on April 14, 2006 12:01 AM
I think you've got aphids on the peppers. Try dipping a papertowel or washrag in very dilluted soapy water and rub off all you can. If you post in the "Plant Pests and Problems" area, you'll get some good advice on sprays to use...you'll need to repeat spray applications several times to get rid of them.
I'm not sure about the zinnias...could be mealy bugs. Neither of these pests means the end of the world, but they do need to be controlled. Wipe those leaves too. One good, safe spray to use is called Neem Oil, sold under different brands. It will control most pests, and will control mildew and fungus as well, but there are home remedies, too, I just don't have the formulas.
Pick off spent blooms on the hibiscus and it should bloom really well...it may just be resting a little.
Nice looking tomato plant!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by margaret e. pell on April 14, 2006 03:56 AM
They look like aphids to me, too. Clip affected zinia flowers, as the bugs/eggs will be deep inside and whatever remedy you use won't reach them (this will be quite ok for the plant and in no way stunt further growth or flowering). Move your other plants as far from the affected ones as you can since aphids, mealies, whatever-they-are's (they'll all sucumb to the same kind of treatment) will spread. Keep an eye on the hibiscus, it's a very tasty treat for aphids!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by weezie13 on April 14, 2006 11:56 PM
What kind of Fertilizer or potting soil did you use????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deepanwita on April 15, 2006 03:08 AM
I used the "Expert Gardener's" "Perfect Potting Mix". Also I occassionally put the miracle grow water soluble "all purpose plant food".

by weezie13 on April 19, 2006 10:18 AM
I personally would lay off of the Miracle Grow,
myself...

I believe the Expert Gardene's potting soil,
might already have some fert's added...
(I can't remember, I'll have to go take a peak
at my bags in the morning... REMIND ME!)

But when you use those types of soils, then add more fertilzers, it can cause a plant with a more, lusher green growth, which signals to the bugs, that the plant is not "right" and they come to feed on that new green growth...

Also, I'd lay off of the watering every other day...
*that type of soil, holds water a wee~bit better than say a regular potting soil.. it has like peat or compost style ingredients, that hold water, better, longer...and you may be over watering....(cause it's not drying)

And those tomatoes look GREAT!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on April 19, 2006 09:50 PM
I agree... aphids!

Hibiscus are prone to getting them!
Every single one I've ever had, no matter where they were from, got very bad cases of aphids and I ended up tossing them. I won't grow them anymore.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Please give me your input...| Next thread: please help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: