The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

clematis

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Clematis| Next thread: clematis »
Back to Thread index
by debnoel on March 25, 2006 01:33 AM
I have an autumn blooming clematis. It produces masses of small jasmine-like flowers that are very fragrant, a real bee magnet. Anyway, my problem is I don't know what to do with it now that it has grown to monsterous proportions. Maybe I should have cut it back when it was younger, but now it is 20 years old with quite a thick vine. It covers the lattice and grows up onto the roof. I guess I just never had the heart to cut it back severely. I have done some pruning but only when it threatened to take over the porch completely. I have it coming up all over the yard because it has seeded itself. I have given seedlings away and they too have taken over whereever they are planted. Any suggestions?
by patches1414 on March 25, 2006 09:50 AM
You really need to know what group your clematis falls in and it's helpful if you know the name. Clematis in group 1 flowers in the spring, those in group 2 flower in early summer, and those in group 3 flower from the middle of summer into fall. Since you said your clematis blooms in autumn, I would guess it falls in group 3. These clematis grow their stems and flowers during the same season after they are pruned. Group 3 clematis should be hard-pruned in late winter (I did mine last month) by cutting all the stems back to about 10" from the ground, but I made sure that each stem I pruned had at least one good pair of buds on it. I live in zone 5 and I don't know if that makes a difference. [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Clematis| Next thread: clematis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: