The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbird and Butterfly flowers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by BeckyB on February 28, 2006 05:31 AM
I am interested in flowers that will attract hummingbirds and butterflies that can be grown in containers.
This is a list of the flowers I am interested in:
Butterfly Weed
Cosmos
Foxglove
Hollyhock
Dahlia
Columbine
Fuchsia
Violets
Chrysanthemums
Would any of these florish in large containers?

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by Bill on March 01, 2006 09:07 AM
The only plant I am unsure of would be the Dahlias. The rest should flourish in containers as long as they get enough water!
I like to grow hanging Fuchsias in 10 inch hanging baskets, but don't forget the uprights for growing in tubs (with good drainage).
Keep in mind that perennials will require a larger container than the annual plants.

-
by BeckyB on March 01, 2006 09:16 AM
Thank you Bill! [kissies]
Actually, after you mentioned fuchsias, I remembered my aunt used to hang some for the hummers. They were so beautiful. I'm going to look for some tomorrow.
[thumb]

-
 -
- Maxine
by barleychown on March 01, 2006 09:18 AM
My dahlias do awesome in containers every year, surrounded by annuals, because I have to dig the tubers every fall and store them for the winter. [thumb] Just keep an eye out for slugs and snails...dahlias seem to be on their favorites list. [Mad]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by jonni13 on March 01, 2006 09:22 AM
My Dahlias do fabulous in containers too. And I don't have to dig them for winter. But find them easier to handle in containers.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by BeckyB on March 02, 2006 02:46 AM
Are Fuchsias aka Bleeding Hearts?
Also, can either be started from seed somewhat easily?

-
 -
- Maxine
by Bill on March 02, 2006 03:04 AM
Bleeding Heart is Dicentra spectabilis.
Sow the seeds outdoors in late fall or early winter, or indoors, you have to put the seeds in soil and freeze them for 6 weeks. Germination takes 30 days at 60*.
 -

-
by BeckyB on March 02, 2006 05:01 AM
Bill, You take the most beautiful pics!
[flower] [thumb] [flower]

Would I be able to grow them in smaller pots to bring indoors when it gets colder?

-
 -
- Maxine
by MissJamie on March 03, 2006 03:47 PM
wow bill! that is a GREAT pic! I have never seen them that close up before and didn't know they resembled a heart so much!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by porter57 on March 09, 2006 10:26 AM
i dont think fusschias are the same as bleeding hearts. ive planted 2 bleeding hearts last fall
and am looking forward to seeing them this year on the shady side of my house. they had a growth spurt with much leafing out but a hard freeze came along and knocked em back down. hope it didnt wreck em for this year

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: