The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new pond

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New plumeria problem.| Next thread: New pond pic »
Back to Thread index
by glenda on August 06, 2006 11:49 AM
Today my son and I have dug out and filled a 44 gal flexible pond liner. It was incredibly easy to do the templates, photos and instructions were straightforward. thing is our shubumkins have been breeding and we look to have 20 to 30 1/4 inch size young. will we be over crouding our new pond? [Confused]

-
by Jiffymouse on August 06, 2006 02:28 PM
not yet, but you will if they all make it.
by loz on August 06, 2006 03:04 PM
Yikes!!! I know the feeling....I bought 8 mosuqito fish and last night when I scooped a ton of them out I had close to 50!!! And I reckon there are at least 30-40 still in there! [Roll Eyes]

I just keep giving them away to anyone I can. Ask you friends and family if they know anyone that has ponds....

I love my 2 shubumkins, they are getting huge now! I even named them after my parents, Mo and Faye.....Faye is the bossy one like my mom! [Big Grin]
by glenda on August 07, 2006 08:12 AM
Been busy placing slabs round the new pond today. Checked again in small pond, definately over 20 shubumkins, and I can almost see them growing a little bigger each day. [shocked]

-
by Calean on August 11, 2006 08:45 AM
Hello Glenda [wavey]

Where in the world did you find such a small pond liner??? I can't seem to find anything under 250 gal. ponds... and they are expensive!! [Eek!] [Mad]

I haven't even tried starting a water pond yet as I really don't know what I am doing! I do know that I would like to start out with a small in-ground pond with a small rock fountain that I already have. (No fish - they wouldn't survive the winters here in NY) I have been looking around at different styles, and I really like the "off" round style... Not a perfect circle. [Smile]

I'm babbling... Sorry!! [Embarrassed]

Calean [nutz]

Smile! You never know who's looking!
by afgreyparrot on August 12, 2006 02:05 PM
OK...I'm going to ask.
I hate to..... [Roll Eyes]

But...what is a shubumkin?

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by glenda on August 13, 2006 09:44 AM
Hi, Sorry for late replies, Firstly got the pond liner from Ebay. It was rolled up very neatly, once unpacked it spread to its original mould shape. [thumb] Go on Ebay and type in Flexible pond liner. It comes up, there is three to choose from. Good Luck [clappy]
Secondly Shubumkins are simular to goldfish in shape and movement. Now for the tricky bit! they are white and orange, or blue and orange what make them stand out is thier feathery, long fins. [teacher] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
by Calean on August 14, 2006 06:59 AM
Hello Glenda! [wavey]

Thanks for letting me know about the e-bay idea! [Wink] I'll definately take a look! [thumb]

Calean [nutz]

Edit: No more little ones left! [Roll Eyes] Thanks for the info though... I'll keep my eyes on the seller! [grin]

Smile! You never know who's looking!
by glenda on August 14, 2006 07:22 AM
Hi Calean,
Check if the seller has more listed in a few days time. I noticed that he does a lot of 10 day listings [thumb] If your a registered Ebayer you could send him a message. [grin]
Good luck.
Glenda [thumb]

-
by eclo on August 15, 2006 05:27 AM
Heyas afgreyparrot,

A shubumkin goldfish looks more like a Koi than the traditional goldfish. The best way to describe them is they are 'calico' in color. I have found that they grow faster than traditional goldfish also! [Smile]

See Ya in the Garden!
by loz on August 15, 2006 05:47 AM
 -

Picture doesn't do it justice now, the 2 I have are getting quite big!
by glenda on August 27, 2006 10:52 AM
My Son has counted the young shubumkins. We had 38. So far 2 have died, but the rest are about 1/2 inch long ang thriving

-
by Triss on August 27, 2006 11:04 AM
Cool fish!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by plants 'n pots on August 28, 2006 04:56 AM
hmmmmmm - I wonder if my fancy-tailed goldfish are part Shubunkin? They have the same calico coloring as loz's fish here...

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on August 28, 2006 08:04 AM
Some stores here like Lowe's or the Grange Coop sell the preform shells like that, as small as that.

There is a place called Big R here, that seems to sell them at half the price.

At the right store, they are affordable. I'm beginning to like the preforms for many yards.

I just like the bottom with a bit of washed pea gravel.

Those shells tend to reduce the volume of rock that is needed for making a rubber liner pond look presentable.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care
by jakesangel on August 28, 2006 08:25 AM
Sounds like you have a shebunkin too p & p! I think they're beautiful fish.
They do seem to grow pretty fast. We bought 5 fish for the pond about a month ago and I can definetly see growth in the 2 shebunkins.

This is Mozart. lol

-

-
Country Roads  -
by penny in ontario on August 29, 2006 01:55 AM
Cute picture!!!

-
 -

-
by loz on August 29, 2006 05:48 AM
Aww cute! I think they do grow pretty quick, mine are quite large now! [thumb]
by glenda on November 28, 2006 06:29 AM
A quick note now that winter is setting in and the tempretures are dropping here in England. It looks like we have reared all the 38 shebunkins. so I will post a pic of them in Spring.

-
by sibyl on November 30, 2006 11:05 PM
i wanna a shebunkins!!!!
can they stay in the pond in winter like gold fish?

-
 -
by glenda on December 01, 2006 05:32 AM
Hi Sibyl,
Yes they are very much like goldfish. We have reared some very unusual marked ones. Some look all blue, others are more traditional, or white. then there are some orange ones with just one blue spot on their heads.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New plumeria problem.| Next thread: New pond pic »
Back to Thread index