The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My boys want fish!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: my bonsai experience.| Next thread: my broken garden weasel!!! »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 05, 2006 04:24 PM
I just finished - well almost finished - my wine barrel fountain. I have 1 full wine barrel and 2 halves. The full one is just in the back, no water. The other 2, one is hanging over the bottom one and I have cut a 'lip' for the water to flow out of into the bottom one. At a garden tour I went on this summer, they had one similar and my son wants fish in it like everybody had. How do I go about doing this? Just a couple goldfish is all I want. Do I have to 'treat' the water somehow? I've got some .... can't remember the name of it, some type of plant that grows like crazy that I just ordered off of ebay that was mentioned in one of these forums. That should help with keeping it clean right? I have a smaller 'fountain' with just a barrel with the water circulating through an old fashioned water pump....I seem to have to clean that filter or the hose all the time! What's the deal? [dunno] [Frown]

PattyM
by Jiffymouse on August 06, 2006 06:19 AM
if it has been set up a couple of days, adding the water hyacinth and a couple of gold fish (get the cheap feeder fish, not more than 2 to start with) will help it balance. you just had to run it a couple of days to get the chlorine out of it.
by ND farm girl on August 06, 2006 09:47 AM
Got fish? We do! Put them in the wine barrel fountain. Soooo cute. Took some pic's and will have to develop and post them. Cute, cute, cute. Thanks everyone for your help!

PattyM
by afgreyparrot on August 06, 2006 11:40 AM
Oh, goodie! We LOVE pictures! [grin]
I can't wait to see them!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ND farm girl on August 06, 2006 03:42 PM
If I have them in the bottom barrel where the water spills into - will it kill them? Wondering if I should put them in the top one where it's not so 'turbulent'. ??

PattyM
by Jiffymouse on August 07, 2006 01:27 AM
no, they need to be in the bottom barrel. the "turbulence" aerates the water and keeps them with enough oxegen. and, it is deeper and will help them survive the winter.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my bonsai experience.| Next thread: my broken garden weasel!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: