The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wine barrel fountain help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: window planter carrots?| Next thread: wine recipes »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 03, 2006 08:02 AM
I watched this episode on HGTV and just purchased the 3 barrels. They didn't show exactly how to construct this fountain and am sure between my husband and myself we can figure it out - sort of, but he is combining and I'm sort of a 'harvest widow' until winter, so kind of on my own with many projects. My biggest question is about the large barrel - do you think they filled the entire thing with water or what? It looks like it has the top on it still or does it? Mine does and I'm thinking I have to cut it off? I'm not sure about how to go about doing this.

PattyM
by ND farm girl on August 03, 2006 08:03 AM
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_landscaping_design/article/0,1785,HGTV_3596_4435785_03,00.html

I forgot to put the website where you can see this picture of the 3 barrel fountain. I hope this copy of the website works okay?

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 03, 2006 12:26 PM
That looks like a great project...it made a really interesting water feature. You would have to take off the top of the full size barrel in order to install the pump\filter. The brief description said they filled the bottoms of the barrels with river rocks. I bet the top of the big one has one of those plastic inserts for a cover and they've added more river rock on top of it.

Good luck with your endeavor. Be sure to post pictures of your progress. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 04, 2006 03:40 AM
My husband figured it out last night for me, heading to Fargo (I live an hour from a city) today and going to pick up the pump and the liners. He said the big one doesn't have water in it - just the hose feeding from the bottom container, so will just put a hole in the bottom or something and feed the line to the hole where the water will spill out to the 2nd barrel then the 3rd barrel. Can't wait!

PattyM
by welldigger on August 04, 2006 01:00 PM
you can buy a hole saw for a drill at any hardware store. and get whatever size you want to make the hole. it should only get in your pocket about six or eight dollars. it makes a perfect circle hole though.

justin
by ND farm girl on August 04, 2006 04:46 PM
Thanks Justin - I'm a farm girl - have lots of tools! Father-in-law down the road has a woodshop too. Got started on it tonight when we got home but it go dark and had to stop for the night!

PattyM
by welldigger on August 05, 2006 04:41 PM
i hope everything works out for you ok. im sure it will though. i hope you have fun with it.....

justin

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: window planter carrots?| Next thread: wine recipes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: