The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

water plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: water lotos in tub| Next thread: Water quality »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on July 29, 2006 09:38 AM
Hi'all [wavey] , I want to start a small aquarium inside, but don;t have any plant or know anywhere I can purchase them [dunno] . I bought the aquarium at a pet store and unfortunately, the only plants that they have are for the fishies to eat. Does anyone have any extra cuttings that they could spare (sorry if I cound like I'm begging [Embarrassed] !)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I won't be putting any fish inside, just pure plants! I was think of a few snails, but I heard they reproduce very fast

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by RugbyHukr on July 29, 2006 01:58 PM
be sure to match the plants with the fish.

freshwater plants in a saltwater tank or vise-versa may be bad.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Jiffymouse on July 29, 2006 03:13 PM
kenny, i will send you a small water lettuce and hyacinth if you send me your address BUT remember, you have to have a flourescent light for the plants if you don't have them outside. both are full sun plants.

also, the advantage to a fish, even if it is just one, is that it helps keep the water balanced (the fish produce waste and use oxegen, the plants use the waste as fertilizer and use the carbon dioxide producing oxegen for the fish)

and, the "plants for the fish to eat" will grow nicely in your aquarium, if there are not fish to eat them!
by kennyso on July 29, 2006 03:18 PM
Ok jiffymouse, thanks so much for your offer, I've already PM'd you my address. I will be buying a fish (I'm thinking of a few rainbow tetras or gold fish?)

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Jiffymouse on July 30, 2006 02:27 AM
start small. a couple of tetras (rainbow or neon, they are both beautiful fish) or a couple of goldfish would be great. the tetras are "cleaner" fish, but the goldfish are "hardier" and not near as expensive. i prefer tetras indoors and goldfish out. just a personal preference.
by kennyso on July 30, 2006 05:54 AM
thanks again, I think I'll buy both, and another tank, I'll put the hyacinth with tetras in one and the lettuce with goldfishes in another. Out to the store I go again!

-
 -

My Website My Blog

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: water lotos in tub| Next thread: Water quality »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: