The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I COULD JUST SCREAM

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by buzylady on July 18, 2006 10:51 AM
I am so mad! My neighbor dogs. 2 black lab older puppies. Very unruly. JUMPED into my pond. It's not that big. 2x4? My lillies are blooming and the water has just gotten clear. It is too hot to go out there. Plus I don't know what I can do. I'm going swimming at my sister-in-laws then going to see what I can do to clean it up.
Thanks for listening I needed to vent.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 10:58 AM
awww.so sorry!!! and best of luck!
put some spikes poking up in ur pond [Razz] that would teach those dogs a lessons!
by Squirrel on July 18, 2006 11:05 AM
Oh, Diane. What a shame they don't keep their dogs at home! [Frown] Hope you will be able to salvage everything and get it back to the way it was. Keep us posted on how things turned out. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Triss on July 18, 2006 11:11 AM
Oh Diane, I am so sorry that the puppies got into your pool. Hope you can fix it all up.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by buzylady on July 18, 2006 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I hope I can too. I'm working on another pond. I'll have to put a fence up. The dogs don't get to run very often but when they do, lookout. If the neighbors would just keep an eye on them.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 18, 2006 11:56 AM
I'm usually the one falling into my pond and messing it up, but a few weeks ago my neighbor's dog went in...twice in 2 days. It's 4 feet deep at the deepest, and it's a huge pond. The entire sides are shelved with plants on them. The first time he fell in (trying to eat the fish food) I helped him out. The next time was at night, and he obviously had a hard time getting out. He pulled most of my plants into the pond (you can imagine all the mud in my pond!) [Eek!] and the worst thing was...he pulled my big filter in, spilling all the lava rocks, quilt batting, EVERYTHING in. I'm still trying to get it back in shape.

I feel your pain! Literally!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Karrie on July 18, 2006 12:38 PM
We had dogs do that in Indy, a huge bull mastiff, he walked right in sat down and wouldn't get out. I had to walk the neighborhood find his home, and have them come get him out. He made a real mess. I had Zoe out front today she walked up to it peeked in and decided she liked her pool much better she fits in it. lol I sure hope things clean up well for you and that maybe they watch them closer from now on!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by loz on July 18, 2006 12:43 PM
I'm sorry.

I guess this is one time I'm glad I don't have any dogs!
by buzylady on July 18, 2006 03:40 PM
afgreyparrot, As mad as I was , I can't imagine the problem you had with that. I probably would have sat down and cried. After I screemed bloody murder.
I suppose this is a common problem.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by woodchuck on July 18, 2006 04:24 PM
Lab pups, huh. Water dogs by nature, pups, hot weather, did what came natural because the owners(ignorant humans) did not have them cared for properly.

The owners owe you an apology, and some labor just to be neighborly.

You could always have the police come and ticket them for not having the dogs properly restrained, did they have registration tags AND vet tags for their shots?, you could make some expensive trouble for them with a simple phone call.

I've had dogs all my life, and have paid some dues to be sure, but what happened was so preventable in so many ways, and will likely happen again.
by Nashir on July 18, 2006 11:12 PM
LOL, lucky me there are no dogs here,well none runniong lose:P, so my pond under construction will be same of them... and buzylady,,things will be fine!!! DO NOT worry!!!!...ask ur neighbours for help!!!
by eclo on July 19, 2006 01:36 AM
I know the feeling Buzylady.. you have seen pictures of how small my little pond is. About
3 x 5 x 2.5 deep. Now, imagine a full grown golden retriever frolicking in it! I think he thought he was duck hunting or something... I never did find out who his owners are. I would certainly let the owners of those dogs know what kind of mess their dogs have created. You can't blame them puppy's, they was lookin for a little relief from the heat. If your neighbors are responsible pet owners, they will offer to help clean up after them! In any case, good luck getting it cleaned up! Its amazing to me just how fast a healthy pond will bounce back from something like that! I think it actually promoted new growth on some of my plants when it happened to mine.

See Ya in the Garden!
by weezie13 on July 19, 2006 04:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by woodchuck:
Lab pups, huh. Water dogs by nature, pups, hot weather, did what came natural because the owners(ignorant humans) did not have them cared for properly.

I have to say, those were my exact thoughts..
Lab's love water and if they're black dogs,
and the hot weather.. they must be smokin' dogs!!!

I know it must be aweful...
but keep positive... and maybe a better suprise
will come from all of this work to get it back in shape... [kissies] [angel] [kissies] [angel]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by buzylady on July 19, 2006 04:14 AM
quote:
they will offer to help clean up after them!
yeah right! Nobody sees the attraction or importance of my flowers and pond. To them it's JUST A LITTLE PLANT or they laugh and say AWL ISN"T THAT CUTE HE'S IN YOUR POND. At the time I'm holding myself back from strangling them.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
by Karrie on July 19, 2006 04:36 AM
I send a hug your way, I know how fusterating it is to fell like no one appreciates your efforts and respects the things you hold dear. Maybe go get one of those lil blue plastic wadeing pools offer it to the neighbors and explain to them what the dogs are doing and that you thought the pool might be just what the lil rascals need.

Kill em with kindness. Maybe it will just guilt them.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by cookinmom on July 19, 2006 09:01 AM
Oh Buzylady, I have the utmost sympathy for you. My neighbor's dog did the same thing (a huge chocolate lab) and I just wanted to go over there and shoot him!
I know just what you mean, too; people think you're overreacting because "it's just a plant for pete's sake!" I'm sending you a hug too!

One of my other neighbors put up a sort of flimsy fence of chicken wire and small posts around his pond to keep the same dog out. It's not very pretty but it works.

We already had a fence, but we had to start keeping our gate closed to keep him out.

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Dixie Angel on July 19, 2006 09:40 AM
So sorry to read this, Diane! I know you must be feeling very frustrated.

The only dog that has been in my little puddle so far is my Angel and it was an accident. She thought she could walk on water and found out quickly that she wasn't Jesus...

I'm glad that you blame the neighbors and not the pups. Labs do love water and they would not be in it if it weren't for the neighbors not keeping an eye on them. I sort of liked the suggestion that someone mentioned about buying them a pool, but would probably suggest the owner's do it out of their own pocket. It is their responsibility to pay for their pups' entertainment...

Dianna

-
 -
by langford on July 20, 2006 07:19 AM
Karrie that is hilarious and a very good idea...about buying the pool...i wonder if i bought a muzzle for my neighbors 20 dogs they would get the hint..i feel for you about the dogs..my little lhasa apso drinks out of my pond..gross
by jakesangel on July 24, 2006 04:07 PM
OUCH!!! I know that must be frustraing! We too have a lab...so far the bubbler is keeping her out of the pond (it's only a week old tho and unfinished). She has her own little blue plastic pool so I'm hoping she'll keep out of my pond!

-
Country Roads  -
by Annell on July 25, 2006 04:43 AM
I am sorry, almost the same thing happened to me but it was my dog. I let him outside and walked in the kitchen to put up my glass and when I walked back, there he was in my pond. I was so mad. We usually have him a swimmg pool in the summer to get in to. We did not have one this year, our bad and he thought this was just really neat.
I would say something to the neighbors about it and ask them if they would please keep and eye on their dogs when the let them out. A fence would be the best thing for you because other dogs might and will do the same thing. It is just tempting for a dog to see a hole full of water to just get in and cool off on a hot day or night for that matter.
Good luck to you.

Annell

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: