The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What are these gross looking things?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by loz on July 17, 2006 12:23 PM
Some kind of egg sack on my water irises.....I'm wondering if they are from my black mystery snails.....It says that usually they lay eggs underwater but that they have been known to lay them on land.....

It grosses me out and is cool to see all at the same time! It can't be a fish or the frog because it's up too high...but the snails could climb up there I guess.

I'm scared I'm gonna have 5,000 critters in this small pond.... [Eek!] [Big Grin]

-

-
by Triss on July 17, 2006 12:29 PM
Ewwww that is so weird looking. Cannot wait to figure out what it is.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 12:42 PM
Not a clue, but I am with Triss on the whole EWWWWWWWW thing. I am intrigued now though, your gonna have to keep us posted. Could it be bugs of some sort? Hubby walked by just now and said spider eggs? Could he be right?

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 12:46 PM
Oh my gosh I think he is right, here lookie ewwwww and double ewwwwww I hate spiders.

http://www.ausemade.com.au/tas/aem/w/wildcavetours/images/0210165208b.JPG

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Merme on July 17, 2006 12:57 PM
loz ~ I can't tell from your photo exactly, how PINK are these eggs? The picture does look pinkish to me.

If they are pink in real life, they may very well be eggs from Apple Snails. That is how those snails build their egg sacs together, and these are located in the right area. It question is the color of them?

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by SpringFever on July 17, 2006 01:04 PM
http://www.applesnail.net/content/photos/photo_eggs_1.htm there are a bunch of different colored snail eggs .. Looks like you are gonna have a bunch of snails !!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Triss on July 17, 2006 01:07 PM
Check this out Loz. On the 2nd page is a pic of the snails moving inside the egg sacks.
Apple Snail Eggs

So the question is, are you going to let them hatch? And also how many of these groupings are there?

-
 -
by loz on July 17, 2006 01:19 PM
Okay, I'm with the snail thing [thumb] .......But it seems they've been busy lately already....we found a few baby snails already in their tonight and this egg sac thing hasn't hatched yet.

Check it out.

It's a baby!

-
by Triss on July 17, 2006 01:25 PM
That is great Loz! Looks so big for a baby.

-
 -
by SpringFever on July 17, 2006 01:26 PM
Perhaps you may have missed an egg grouping?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by loz on July 17, 2006 01:35 PM
I might've missed one.....on the back of a leaf or something....there are 4 big snails in there, Mark pulled one out that was clinging to the pump and he said it was huge!

Triss, that is a close up........here it is pulled back a bit, it was pretty teeny and even this is zoomed in.

-
by Triss on July 17, 2006 01:57 PM
What do the big ones look like? Do you have a current pic of one of them?

-
 -
by Karrie on July 17, 2006 02:00 PM
ok good snail eggs, much better then what I was thinking! Ewwww spiders. Glad you got snails. In reading the web sight it says the color is not definite until the next day. Keep us updated.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by loz on July 17, 2006 02:07 PM
I never see the snails Triss, I guess they usually stay on the bottom. When we bought them they weren't big, but when Mark pulled that one out it scared him because it was so big. [Big Grin]

And Karrie I'll keep you all updated....it would be neat if I got a pic of them hatching! [thumb]
by Triss on July 17, 2006 02:25 PM
Too funny Loz! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on July 17, 2006 02:26 PM
ooooooooooooooh loz, you LUCKY DUCK!!!

Your black mystery snails are in the apple snail family!
Remember when I got the golden mystery snails, and they were "doing their thing" the first night I had them? The female laid eggs, but nothing ever came of them and the parents died. They can get as big as apples - that's why they are called apple snails! I'd love to see a picture of the large one you have!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by afgreyparrot on July 17, 2006 02:32 PM
Loz!
I just saw this... [shocked]

I think that is a pod of aliens!
Don't squish them...they might be kin to me! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on July 17, 2006 02:32 PM
Wow Lynne, you have good info there [thumb] ...I didn't know they could get that big! [Big Grin]

I should sell them to Walmart! [Big Grin]

When we make the new bigger pond I'll get some pictures of them...that will be in the fall.

I'm gonna be a mom again, my mosquito fish just had a 2nd batch of babies, now the snails....must be a fertile pond huh? [Big Grin]
by loz on July 17, 2006 02:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Loz!
I just saw this... [shocked]

I think that is a pod of aliens!
Don't squish them...they might be kin to me! [grin]

Mark said if you want he'll mail them to you in case they are your kids! [shocked] [tongue] [Big Grin]

He said you weren't out visiting late at night laying your eggs in our pond were you? [shocked] [nutz]
by Triss on July 17, 2006 02:42 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 17, 2006 02:49 PM
quote:
Mark said if you want he'll mail them to you in case they are your kids!
Yep...I can just hear him saying that!
Tell him old people like him should be in bed by now! [lala]

-
 -
 -
by loz on July 17, 2006 02:56 PM
He said he thought people your age went to bed about 8:30pm, and that a young stud like himself was able to stay up until at least 10:30! [tongue]
by afgreyparrot on July 17, 2006 03:02 PM
Oh, man...next he's gonna be calling me "Granny"! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by loz on July 17, 2006 03:05 PM
He said, if the shoe fits wear it! [Big Grin]

Now he said do you want him to call you granny or nana? Which do you prefer? [shocked]

Don't blame me I'm the messenger...and I live with this jokester everyday of my life, it's nice he's picking on someone else! [Wink]
by loz on July 18, 2006 12:43 PM
I was spraying water in the pond a while ago and knocked the eggs into the pond by accident....Hope they make it okay because I'm sure as heck not touching them! [scaredy]
by Triss on July 18, 2006 01:02 PM
I sure hope they make it as well Loz!

-
 -
by loz on July 18, 2006 01:58 PM
Well I guess we'll find out.....it's honestly the grossest looking thing.......

I should start selling them to the pet stores......I think I paid 1.50 for each of mine.
by plants 'n pots on July 19, 2006 02:23 AM
loz - I really hope your eggs make it in the water.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but on the website, applesnail.net, under the "care" section, it says...

"It's important to keep the eggs in a moist, but not wet environment. Never keep these eggs under water (this will drown the embryos)! "

I really hope that at least a few make it for you.
My fingers are crossed!

-
 -
by loz on July 20, 2006 03:23 AM
Oh man, I hope they didn't die!

Then again who knows how many snails are already in the pond...when we drain it out it might be full of them! [Big Grin]
by langford on July 20, 2006 04:56 AM
I have been looking for pond snails, but no one around here sells them..
by loz on July 20, 2006 06:28 AM
Well shoot, come fall when we make the pond bigger and drain it out I could send you some probably.........depending on how many I have in there.
by langford on July 20, 2006 07:00 AM
That would be wonderful..do they stay in the pond over winter?
by loz on July 21, 2006 08:38 AM
I guess it just depends on how deep your pond is, whether they make it or not..... [dunno] I'm not sure...we are redoing our pond in the fall to make it at least 3 feet deep so we can overwinter the fish in it.
by jakesangel on July 24, 2006 04:11 PM
That is WILD [shocked] I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. How great that it's a good thing tho!

-
Country Roads  -
by loz on July 25, 2006 06:46 AM
I know, I couldn't believe it! [shocked] I never thought I'd have something like that......I thought the snails just laid their eggs under the plants or something.
by shanbear on July 25, 2006 10:38 AM
Loz:

It's funny to know how much you learn here eh?! I honestly thought they (snails) laid their eggs under a plant or something too! Well good luck them them... I'm pretty sure they might die... But if not, here's to selling them for $2 each at Wal Mart! [muggs] (Afterall, you can claim the extra .50 cents on Emotional Distress!) [Big Grin]
by Tonya on July 26, 2006 01:50 AM
Ijust saw that pic and I'm telling you...they are LUCKY they aren't in my yard....(Idon'y have a pond yet) I would've RAN to get Doug to squish/remove that sac... EEEEEWWWWWWWW!! [shocked] gave me the creeps just looking at it!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by loz on July 26, 2006 04:43 AM
Trust me, it gave me major creeps.... [scaredy] But at the same time it was sort of cool too.
by Tonya on July 26, 2006 07:03 AM
So, did they hatch, or not?? Are you the proud mama of snails?? [dunno] [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by loz on July 26, 2006 10:03 AM
I'm not sure....I made a boo-boo and knocked it off by accident....I was putting water in the pond and hit it and the water pushed it off the plant. I guess when we drain the pond in the fall we'll see what happens.
by ShirlS on July 27, 2006 04:40 AM
Another EWWWwwwwww!!! That egg sack looks yucky!

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by plants 'n pots on July 27, 2006 08:29 AM
Guess I'm out-numbered here. [dunno]
I think the egg sac is REALLY COOL! [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 02:44 PM
well lynne, i'm with you. but i wouldn't let scott move the dead tree limb that the garden spider anchored her egg sac in either! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: