The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

OMG--it's my bullfrog!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Olive Tree in pot| Next thread: On Line Garden Almanac »
Back to Thread index
by loz on June 25, 2006 10:11 AM
So I was walking out on the back porch with Mark and I said, you know some mornings when I come out here I hear a loud splash at the pond......

At the moment that I said that you hear a frog.....I have a bullfrog in my pond! [Big Grin]

We went down and actually could see it.

In all of my years living here I've never saw a frog ever! Dad said years ago he saw them a bit, but not recently.

I just can't believe it. Will it eat my fish? [shocked]
by Karrie on June 25, 2006 10:15 AM
I cannot be sure, but when we were in Indiana, we had tons of bull frogs in the pond and our fish fourished without issue. We started with 2 and by our 3 summer with the pond we had well over a hunderd to say the least. I dont think I would be concerned.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by loz on June 25, 2006 10:17 AM
Thank you! I am an over worrier, and I didn't want them to eat my fishies....I've gotten attached to them. [thumb]

I still can't get over a frog being in my pond, you just don't see them even though I guess they are around.

My 4 year old niece is just going to love this..... [Big Grin]
by cookinmom on June 25, 2006 10:45 AM
Loz, I have 2 bullfrogs living in my pond. I took some pictures of them the other day. I'm still trying to sneak up on one and take a picture of it sitting on a lily pad. That is the funniest thing! You will probably come to like your frog as much as your fishies. Sometimes they will go "meep" when they jump in the water. It's kind of funny.

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by loz on June 25, 2006 12:07 PM
That would be a funny picture! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I just hope my fish are safe, my ortho pond book says that they can eat goldfish.
by Jiffymouse on June 25, 2006 12:14 PM
loz, i know frogs can eat fish, but i also know they usually don't, but save fish as a "meal of last resort" because there are tastier, easier to catch critters out there. i think your fish are safe.

also, if they eat a baby or two, it might keep your pond from looking like cindy's! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by loz on June 25, 2006 01:05 PM
Well that's a good thing...I hate to say it but maybe he'll eat some of those mosquito fish babies....

Mark said he should feel right at home...I have ornamental frogs around the pond! [Big Grin]
by buzylady on June 26, 2006 08:24 AM
loz, don't you hear them at nite? I had a few making so much noise calling mates. The next day there were 3 sets of two mating. I had to scoop them up and take them away. I still have tadpoles growing by the handful. I do have a frog that's green sticking around. He's cute, I'll keep him.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by buzylady on June 26, 2006 08:29 AM
oh and I thought the fish kept the mosquitoes babies away.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by loz on June 26, 2006 08:52 AM
Well where I live it's really residential, lots of houses and you really, honestly don't hear them up on my hill. Dad said it's been years since he's saw any frogs around here. Too many stray cats too, they probaby eat them I bet.

And I have fish called mosquito fish...they eat mosquito larvae and I'm thinking the frog might eat the babies that the mosquito fish just had. [dunno] Everything I've read says they can eat golfish and even birds, turtles, snakes, and other frogs. [shocked]

I just caught a pic of Mr. Froggy! [grin] Snuck up on him really good.

-

Here's a few of my fish!

-

-

-
by Triss on June 26, 2006 09:04 AM
Great pics Loz! Neat that you caught the frog and the fish!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Squirrel on June 26, 2006 09:19 AM
Way to go, Loz! [thumb] Great pix. [clappy] I think your frog is the neatest thing. Is't it nice he found your pond. He will be fun to watch! [Wink] :)Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 11:08 AM
Great pic's Loz. We have toads around here so bad I am afraid to walk out side barefoot at night. Afraid I will step on the lil buggers. We have them by the hundreds literally. The tiny ones and the larger ones. Their is a tree frog (I think its a tree frog any way) that is hanging out on my front poorch for days now. I think the snake scared him up there and he ain't going down. He's a cute lil guy. Hopefully my lil water hole in progress will provide them with a new habitat.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by afgreyparrot on June 26, 2006 11:49 AM
I just had a big post typed up and I'm not sure what happened to it!
[shocked] [nutz]

If anyone comes across a post somewhere about a frog that is really out of place, like in the welcome forum, or maybe a PM to someone, please let me know!
(I had 5 windows up, so God only knows where I posted it) [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by afgreyparrot on June 26, 2006 01:11 PM
OK...gonna try it again... [thumb]

I have a bunch of huge frogs that jump in the pond when I walk close to it.
quote:
Sometimes they will go "meep" when they jump in the water.
I thought they were saying "EEEEK!" [shocked] [Big Grin]

Back in the fall I was cleaning some leaves out of the pond, and I scooped the net way down in the deep part. It was so heavy coming up I thought I had a rock in it. I reached in the net to get the rock out from under the leaves and it was a huge frog! [shocked] I don't know who was scared worse, me or the frog.
He peed.....and I just about did! [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Triss on June 26, 2006 01:53 PM
I remember that one Cindy!

-
 -
by loz on June 27, 2006 03:29 AM
I could just picture that happening Cindy! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I just hope that other frogs don't join my frog and make little tadpole frog babies. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
by tkhooper on June 27, 2006 04:31 AM
Oh Cindy you make my cheeks hurt lol.

-
 -
by cookinmom on June 28, 2006 02:46 PM
Cindy, my mom had one of those frog episodes once, only the frog had gone through the washing machine. She took the clothes out to hang them up, and there was this squishy thing and she thought one of the boys had left a balloon in their pocket or something, and she kind of squished it -- until she saw what it was! Poor Mama! Fortunately for the frog he had not survived the spin cycle. It was a goodsized toad, and he had got in among some scrap material Mama was saving, and she decided to wash it and got the toad too!

Hey I was finally able to sneak up on my frog and get his picture today on a lily pad. My camera is not digital though, so I have to take my film in (that was the last picture) and when I get it back, I'll post his pic. He's very cute! Loz, I love your pics. Hey my mosquito fish are doing good. Some are getting really fat. I think they're pregnant. [Smile]

-
by loz on June 28, 2006 03:29 PM
Looking forward to your picture! Mr. Froggy has been well behaved so far and hasn't eaten my fish.....lucky for him, or he'd be gone.

Your fish may very well be pregnant..... [Big Grin] If so get ready for tons of babies! Did you know the females are bigger than the males? It's not too hard to ID the two.
by langford on June 28, 2006 06:34 PM
 -

Thought I would show you all a picture of our frog from last year. He hung around (i think it was a hunting to see if we can gather a few and bring them he, couldn't tell ya for sure) We haven't seen him yet this year though. Maybe we'll go frog hunting and bring one to our home..Hope this posting works..

by langford on June 28, 2006 06:50 PM
Sorry about the size.. I thought i was doing it right..oops..if anyone has any suggestions on how to get them smaller to post..please let me know..thanks all
by Patty S on June 28, 2006 07:12 PM
Langford, WOW, those pictures really are WAAYYY too big! I don't know how small they'll turn out to be if you resize them on Photobucket, but you can try clicking on the "Edit" button above the picture on your Photobucket page, then in the "Resize Image" field, click he radio button that says " 25% of original", & click on the "Resize" button.

Go back to your post here, where the picture is too large, & click on the little icon of the paper & pencil, & replace the picture code with the new one from PhotoBucket, then click on the "Edit post" button.

Hope it works... Your frog is a sweetie!

-
 -
by TulsaRose on June 29, 2006 01:15 AM
Patty, once she has resized the pix in Photobucket, the ones posted here will automatically be resized...no need to do an "edit." Just be sure after resizing, do not move the picture anywhere else in Photobucket so the "address" remains the same. Then just Refresh your Gardener's Forum page and the new sizes will appear.

HTH!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by langford on June 29, 2006 04:50 AM
Thank you both for all your help..this is the first time posting and i figured i would do something wrong..hehe..and thank you Patty i thought he was a sweetie too..but he left for the winter and hasn't returned..so i'm pretty sad about that..i am not getting any good water plants this year. This one gentleman from freecycle was suppose to mail me some, but he keeps sending me some silly email about how to take care of them and then says they are pending..what in the world are you pending? How you should send them? He already told me..oh nm i'm blabbing now..sorry..and again thanks for the help
by Triss on June 29, 2006 05:57 AM
Great pic! He looks like he is posing!

-
 -
by langford on June 29, 2006 07:18 AM
Yeah he looked like that alot..could be because our son carried him everywhere he went..our boy is soooooooo fascinated with frogs..he use to gather like 15 of them in a cage and then let them go..mostly in the house..yeah i know.it was a little frightening when i'd be on the computer at 12 at night..and all was dark except my screen..then i'd see something out of the corner of my eye..glance over..and out JUMPED the frog at me..eeek..he doesn't do that anymore..thank god..hehe
by cookinmom on June 29, 2006 08:54 AM
OMG! I would just die! I like frogs that stay in the pond & toads in the yard, but I absolutely do not like tree frogs because they jump RIGHT ON YOU! They are supposed to be scared! Not chase us!

-
by langford on June 29, 2006 10:13 AM
Yeah, well our sons frogs or toads..were not afraid of people that is for dang sure..after awhile though..you get use to it..hehe.
by loz on July 13, 2006 12:46 PM
Got some more pics of Mr. Frog. [thumb] Athena insists on calling him Felicia.... [Big Grin] I think he's getting used to us because you can get right near him now before he disappears.

-

-
by cookinmom on July 13, 2006 01:19 PM
Felicia! That is so cute!

My daughter (16) insists on calling ours Pete and Delmar, after the guys in O Brother Where Art Thou.

I asked how do you know that's Pete, and of course she says "Course it's Pete; look at him!"

-
by loz on July 13, 2006 01:23 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] That's too funny!!!!

My niece is 4 and insists on calling everything Felicia. [Big Grin] I told her the frog was a boy--not that I know that, he just looks like a boy....She said, no it's not, it's a Felicia and that's a girl. [Big Grin]
by ceceharpo on July 13, 2006 02:34 PM
LOLOL, great frog stories.

Do not worry about your frog, he would rather eat mosquitoes and larvae, truly. Remember, frogs catch thier prey with thier tongues. It would have to be fish eggs or very very small fish that it would eat. Something about the scales of fish is what deters them too. I am not sure what though. Posibly the slime.

And the only relationship I ever saw between a frog and a snake was vice versa. Ever see how large a frog a skinny snake can gobble down in one piece??!!!! Amazing.

My frog story: (toads actually)

A few years ago, my home was in a newer area of a small city here in S. Ontario, Canada. ONe of those 'cookie cutter' home areas, same driveways, same tree in front yard, same 2 children per family home. Boreing. So, I created a little pond in my backyard and invited nature to live with me. After all, the area had been developed on what only 5 years before had been a natural park area.

Well, toads and frogs and ducks moved in. We had a wonderful time together at that home.

Mating season came around after one winter, and I had one very boisterous male living at the pond. He called allll the ladies from alll around the 'once park area'.

My city neighbour knocked on my door one evening. When I opened my door, there he stood with a twenty, a ten and a five dollar bill, held out as an offering to me. Puzzled, I asked him what he was doing. He said "I am here to buy that thing you have in your back yard". I wondered what thing and he said "that thing that you bought from Zellers that when you walk by it, it 'ribbits' like a toad. I pleaded with him that it was not a 'bought' item, but that it was truly a piece of Mother Nature's work, at work itself! He left in a huff and didn't believe me. The next day, he returned, demanding to take a look in my backyard for himself. I obliged and took him to see the pond and mr Toad himself. Mr Toad was not shy, there he sat, on edge of pond, with what I recall as a sheepish grin. My neighbour appologized and left with his tail between his legs. I did tell him that he couldn't possibly ever have enough money to buy out our Mother Nature Store. At least hopefully not in our lifetimes.

I am in an old country home now, and guess what, I have a lovely toad hanging out with me.

May all of you each get to experience the wonderful attitude and helpfullness of a toad or a frog in your garden. They truly are great company. And hey, thier castings are pure organic. How sweet they truly are!!

PS, in some culture, I am not of memory to which, frogs are very high in the 'good luck' charms. So let them live, enjoy them, and they just could bring you some extra good luck! [Wink]

cece
by loz on July 13, 2006 02:53 PM
[Big Grin] Cece, what a story of your neighbor trying to buy the frog! [Big Grin] Glad you have a toad hanging out there with you! [thumb]

I've grown quite attached to mine. He makes his calling noises all night long.

I didn't see how he could eat fish, snakes, and turtles and things....My pond book just shocked me when it said that they could possibly eat them. So far the fish and frog are getting along swimmingly. [grin]
by Triss on July 13, 2006 05:38 PM
Great pics Loz! Love Felicia!

And awesome story Cece! Brought a smile to my heart.

-
 -
by loz on July 16, 2006 05:37 AM
On a sad note, this morning one of my orange goldfish was belly up. [tears]

There were 2 of them....Loz and Marky--and I'm not sure which one was which, but those 2 goldfish were always together and I'm sure Loz is missing Marky really bad right now.........or maybe it's Marky pining for Loz. [tears]

See, this is why I don't have a dog because I get too attached.....and this was just a goldfish! [Roll Eyes]
by Triss on July 16, 2006 06:20 AM
Loz, I am sorry that you lost one of your fish. [kissies]

-
 -
by loz on July 16, 2006 12:29 PM
Thanks, I get too attached to things even fish! [Roll Eyes]
by Triss on July 16, 2006 01:46 PM
Me too!

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 16, 2006 02:16 PM
Oh, man, Loz! I'm sorry your fish died. [tears]
I had one that died back in the winter.
It's buried in the pet cemetery and has a headstone. [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 -
by loz on July 16, 2006 02:59 PM
I should've had a burial place for mine....Poor Loz or Marky. I had Mark get rid of it and I'm not sure where he put it. I only had 5 goldfish so it was easy to tell their personalities.

If dogs lived forever I'd have 10 of them.
by loz on July 17, 2006 05:22 AM
It was one of these 2.........RIP loz or marky.

-

I can't wait to expand the pond.......I'm planning it all out in my head already.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Olive Tree in pot| Next thread: On Line Garden Almanac »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: