The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mosquito Fish

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moses-in-the-Cradle a.k.a Rhoeo| Next thread: mosquito plant??? »
Back to Thread index
by cookinmom on June 22, 2006 09:15 AM
My mosquito fish got here in the mail a little while ago; they've been floating in their bag in my pond, and I'm about to go out and dump them in! [clappy]

What happens if there aren't enough mosquito larvae in their for them all? Will they eat algae or something? Do I need to give them any other food?
[dunno]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by loz on June 22, 2006 09:24 AM
Hey, you got mosquito fish too??? How many did you get?

I love those little guys...don't worry they'll eat the goldfish flake food! Just make sure it's crumbled pretty good so it's small enough for them to eat! I'm sure you'll have some mosquito larvae though---those little fish can eat a LOT of it!

They like to stay near the surface so they're fun to watch! [thumb]
by loz on June 22, 2006 10:25 AM
Oh NO! It's started! [scaredy]

You can't see them in this picture, but I have baby mosquito fish, and they are teeny tiny. They give birth to live babies and they were probably only a half inch long if that. I hope I don't end up with 5,000 mosquito fish! [shocked] [Big Grin] I'm going to start sending them to you all! [tongue] Or start selling them on ebay! [Big Grin]

-
by cookinmom on June 22, 2006 12:27 PM
I ordered a dozen, but it kind of looked like more than that. I didn't really count them. I saw one of your previous posts about them, and wanted to try them. Those mosquito dunks don't seem to work too well here. Maybe we have resistant mosquitoes! [dunno] I'd like to see them try to resist getting eaten by a fish! HA! [Razz]

I got mine from ebay, from a lady here in Florida. You should sell yours there, when you get 5000 of them! [Big Grin] Might as well make money off of them!

Well, the fishies look happy. They're zinging around the pond. The frogs look a little disgusted though, like they've been invaded!

-
by loz on June 22, 2006 01:44 PM
I got mine on ebay too! [Big Grin]

What would we do without ebay!

Be warned, they mate and multiply like CRAZY! [scaredy] [shocked] [scaredy]

Your frogs aren't liking sharing their pond! [Big Grin]
by Jiffymouse on June 22, 2006 03:50 PM
hmmmm maybe i need to get some of those. they give them away free here, if you are willing to go get them. think they'll make it home if scott picks them up on the motorcycle?
by afgreyparrot on June 22, 2006 03:59 PM
quote:
think they'll make it home if scott picks them up on the motorcycle?

I, personally, would rather take a wild motorcycle ride than be mailed across country in a bag full of water in a cardboard box.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plants 'n pots on June 22, 2006 04:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
I, personally, would rather take a wild motorcycle ride than be mailed across country in a bag full of water in a cardboard box.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] WHAT A VISUAL YOU JUST PAINTED, CINDY! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [nutz]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by cookinmom on June 23, 2006 08:58 AM
Hey, if those fishies could survive the US Postal system, I'm sure a motorcycle ride would be a piece of cake! OOPs, hope none of y'all are postal employees! [scaredy]

My son insists they're just minnows, so at least if they multiply too much, we'll have plenty of free live bait for fishing! [Eek!] If I could part with them!

-
by loz on June 23, 2006 09:05 AM
They do sort of look like minnows a little bit!

I was just out looking at the pond and I counted at least 6 baby fish that I could see! [Roll Eyes] This could get ugly! [Big Grin] [scaredy]

You can find interesting info on them if you google mosquito fish! [thumb]
by Jiffymouse on June 23, 2006 03:13 PM
i wish i could remember what they are really called, something like gamboozies? i dunno [dunno] cindy, don't tell the plants i just mailed that, ok?
by cookinmom on June 24, 2006 03:58 AM
Jiffy you were really close...
This site calls 'em gambusia

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in456

They are neat little guys. This morning, one jumped up on the waterfall and used it for a waterslide! [perplexed]

-
by langford on June 24, 2006 04:39 AM
Well i have had another casualty..one of my butterfly koi died...i'm going to dig him a little grave..i was quite upset..and then some neighborhood male dog sprayed on my gazebo..and 1/2 my water in my pond i have now is gone..what is up with that..i'm starting to think i need that privacy fence now..not in a couple months...UGH
by cookinmom on June 24, 2006 03:15 PM
Does sound like you need that fence, Lang.
We had to start closing our gate, to keep the neighbor's giant dog out of my pond.

Sorry about your fish. Thtat's sad.

-
by Jiffymouse on June 25, 2006 02:14 AM
sorry about your fish langford... i really hate when i lose a fish... even the cheap ones because after i've had them a while, they seem to develope their own personalities...
by cookinmom on June 25, 2006 10:48 AM
Guess what, this morning I saw three baby fish in my pond. Already! One of them had to been pregnant when they got here. It hasn't even been a week yet! At first I thought they were really big mosquito larvae, and I was wondering what the heck the fish were waiting for -- get eating! But they were baby fish. I hope they don't overrun each other!
[flower]

-
by loz on July 16, 2006 05:35 AM
AHA, I knew it.......those things mate like crazy!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

I've had one batch of babies early on, and I just gave most of them away to my neighbor with a pond.

And guess what?

Today we noticed teeny tiny babies AGAIN! [shocked] [Big Grin] At this rate my pond will be nothing but mosquito fish. [Roll Eyes]
by Nashir on July 16, 2006 01:54 PM
OHHHH i just cant wait until i get my own pond started!!!!!!!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moses-in-the-Cradle a.k.a Rhoeo| Next thread: mosquito plant??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: