The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

water lilly that do not bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Water Lilies| Next thread: water lily »
Back to Thread index
by april womack on June 20, 2006 03:20 PM
Well, I am new to the site, but I have already found quite a lot of helpful stuff! Like many ponders this year, the string algea is driving me nuts, but I am working on it.

My question for all you ponders is this. I have 2 different lillies in my pond but for the last two seasons (and it looks like this may be the third) I have had only one bloom. Previously the same lillies did fine. My ph is 7 +/-, no nitrates, uv filtration plus a mechancal filter, clear water in spite of the string algea, happy, happy fish, sun until around 2 everyday. No one can tell me why I get no blooms. Yes I did fertlize, but a horticulturist suggested maybe I stop for a season and see what happens, that maybe they were just too happy to bloom. So far I don't see anything positive. I have split them as well. I think I have done everything except pitch them out and buy new ones. Thoughts anyone?
by Pianolady on June 20, 2006 05:30 PM
Only thing I can think of...has something changed where they don't get as much sun as they did before?

-
by afgreyparrot on June 21, 2006 04:12 AM
Is there any water spraying on them...like from a fountain?

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by april womack on June 21, 2006 07:10 AM
Nothing has changed, same spot, no overspray. That is what is so frustrating about this. In fact last fall we even cut down a tree that did provide some earlier shade when the sun was low in the a.m., but now even that has been removed.
by cinta on June 21, 2006 07:55 AM
I had the same problem and once I re-potted and gave them Jobe spike fret. I was being cheap did not want to spend the bucks for pond plant fertilizers they started blooming again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by april womack on June 22, 2006 01:32 AM
My only concern with the Jobes is the incompatibility with ponds. I think too much nitogen or phosphate in products not meant for ponds, and that will cause more string algae. But I will give the fertilizer another go. I went to my local pond store yesterday to talk about my string algae problem. They sold me a product that will kill it in about 10 days or so and not hurt my plants or fish. I also built one of Adams homemade filters to clean out the muck after it is killed off. I am using it as a prefilter before it gets into my pressure filter box. I will let everyone know how this stuff works out. I know there are a lot of problems this year with algae. Don't know why it is so bad when last year I had none. Thanks for the input.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Water Lilies| Next thread: water lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: