The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Pond

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My plants on my Arch!!| Next thread: My Pond ~ pics »
Back to Thread index
by Pianolady on April 29, 2006 07:09 AM
Since I'm new here, I thought a post a pic of my pond. It's actually two ponds. Started out as two, combined to one, seam failed, back to two. I tried to seam a xavan liner to an edpm liner. It actually worked for two years, but I'm not going to try again.

I like it better having them seperated, all my lilies are in the smaller pond, and the koi are in the larger pond that's 3' deep. The pic is taken from the deck above, it's the only way I can get it all in the photo. Bottom pond in photo is maybe 800 gallons, top is probably only 200 gallons. Not nearly as large as I would have liked, but the most I could fit in this small space. I have a huge backyard that would have made a lovely pond, if I didn't need that darn septic system!

-

-
by plants 'n pots on April 29, 2006 08:50 AM
Hi Pianolady!

Very nice ponds - love what you did with the rocks. And the bridge is very nice too!

I only have a bathtub pond, so I'm very limited in what I can put in it.

What do you do with your koi and plants in the winter - can they overwinter there in your zone? They don't here - mostly because the bathtub is only 14 inches deep, but also because the entire tub freezes.

Have any more pictures to share?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Pianolady on April 29, 2006 12:33 PM
Thanks plants 'n pots! Asking me if I have more pics to share is a dangerous thing. You might not want to get me started (just kidding).

The fish overwinter in the pond just fine, and I just keep a hole in the ice with a bird bath heater. Only the top few inches freeze solid, and it's 3 feet deep.

Here's a few more pics from years past. The ugly fence is now gone. I was having problems with a very large dog using my pond as a bathing pool one year, and making a huge mess of things. The dog is now gone.

-

Here's one when they were connected, it was a cool thing, but I don't want to spend the $ to buy a new liner to do it again.
 -

And, here's the smaller pond. I now have a small faux rock waterfall at the top of the photo, and removed the fountain.
 -

-
by Pianolady on April 29, 2006 12:38 PM
I forgot about the plants...

The lilies are all hardy, no tropical lilies. They overwinter fine. I have a lotus that never blooms, doesn't get enough sun. The floating plants and tropicals do not overwinter & I have to rebuy, or bring in. I no longer purchase anything that doesn't overwinter, except a few water lettuce & some hyacinth for the veggie filter.

-
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 12:56 PM
What a great Pond PL I love all the plants they are soo pretty!! I love the bridge!! [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by plants 'n pots on April 29, 2006 03:25 PM
I wasn't able to grow the water lettuce or the hyacinths last summer - my first time ponding. The area gets full day sun and they both burned out. It looks like yours is in full sun - any secrets?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by langford on May 03, 2006 02:32 AM
Good Morning, I haven't been here since Friday..i feel like a lost puppy..beautiful pond by the way and welcome. I think i brought the disk into work today..i'll check in my truck to post my pictures of my pond last year..i'm so unorganized right now it's pathetic. With everything going on i just cannot keep track of anything anymore. I feel like i'm running in circles. So i'll try to get mine up within the next couple days. Good luck with that lettuce. I bought five new plants. put them in my little pond (they are suppose to be transplanted sometime this year.hehe) and well ..i don't see anything yet..keeping my fingers crossed..
by Pianolady on May 03, 2006 04:45 PM
My pond actually gets too much shade. My lilies bloom for the most part, but my lotus does not. I cut back more tree limbs every year to get more sun. This is good for some plants, bad for others, but it's what I've got to work with, so we make do.

-
by Dixie Angel on May 03, 2006 04:50 PM
You have got a beautiful pond, Pianolady! That's the way I dream mine to look...

Dianna

-
 -
by langford on May 04, 2006 03:15 AM
Pianolady..is there a tree close by?
by cookinmom on May 07, 2006 03:39 AM
Wow, PianoLady, that is a beautiful pond! I love the rocks. My pond is one of the little 100-gallon-ish ones from Walmart, but I can't complain;my husband worked so hard digging the hole for it and cutting out tree roots. I had a huge bullfrog living in it until recently, when a neighbor dog jumped in. Haven't seen that poor bullfrog since. [Mad]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Pianolady on May 09, 2006 08:42 AM
Yes, there are two large maples near the pond. I cover it in the fall to keep the leaves out. But it gets some sun mid-day.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My plants on my Arch!!| Next thread: My Pond ~ pics »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: