The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How NOT to build a pond!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 04:05 AM
First of all, don't start the project when you are mad or in a bad mood. [Frown]

Second, USE A MEASURING TAPE! [Eek!]
Don't estimate the size...because it will turn out wrong.

I bought a pond liner at Lowe's yesterday. It is hidden in the back of the Avalanche under some stuff. It is a 10' X 13'. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] The reason I am laughing here is because I just dug a pond 10' wide...not to mention 4' deep...and about 16' long.
In other words...I just dug a freaking POOL instead of a goldfish pond.

-

...more to follow after I get back from Lowe's (in the next town!) [Roll Eyes] with a bigger pond liner.

Cindy JANET

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by moondance on October 29, 2005 05:30 AM
my my my-quite ambitious aren't you? Did you do that all by hand? I knew a guy in my previous life that I wish I had a tape mesure - never could do eye measuring very accurate.
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 06:23 AM
quote:
my my my-quite ambitious aren't you?
Well...I was earlier...now I am quite SORE! [Eek!]

quote:
Did you do that all by hand?
No, but I did a LOT of it by hand! [Roll Eyes]
I started with a backhoe...and couldn't really tell how deep and wide it was...it looked a lot smaller from the backhoe. [nutz]

You can sorta see in the picture above where the backhoe left off and the shovel took over...and here's what I have done since then...
 -
I have moved tons of dirt in a wheelbarrow because there's no room to get the backhoe around Brennan's swingset without crushing my plants...not to mention knocking limbs out of the tree...I have knocked several out already. As you can see by the following picture the pond is right under a maple tree...
 -

quote:
I knew a guy in my previous life that I wish I had a tape mesure - never could do eye measuring very accurate.
[grin] Well...that comment brought back a memory for me, too! [lala]

Cindy Janet

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 29, 2005 06:37 AM
Cindy!!! Another pond!!!! You're so lucky [thumb] , but seriously---do you know what you are getting yourself into.... [tongue] [Big Grin] Next year around this time you'll be freaking out over winterizing 2 ponds instead of one.... [Big Grin] I'm just picking on you you know that...I think it's great...will you come dig me out a pond too?????? Bring the backhoe on up here to MD---nobody will mind following you on the interstate.... [grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 08:19 AM
quote:
---do you know what you are getting yourself into....
Yeah...big trouble! [Big Grin]

quote:
...will you come dig me out a pond too??????
Sure...can I hit the road in your direction tomorrow?
...and I might need to stay awhile. [lala]

There were several lessons to be learned from this pond-building experience, I'm sure.
One of them... [teacher] don't leave a credit card with me to pay your cell phone bill with...especially if the cell place is near Lowe's. (Still haven't paid the bill!) [lala]
And... [teacher] Don't leave the key in the backhoe.

Late fee for not having cell bill paid by 4 pm - $30.00
Pond liner - $188.00
Underlayment - $55.00
Pump and Filter - $240.00 (on sale!)
The look on Andy's face when he sees a huge pond in his yard -
PRICELESS! ! ! ! ! [grin]

The use of the backhoe was free...
...for everything else, there was MasterCard! [Big Grin] [tongue]

-
 -
 -
by melcon6 on October 29, 2005 08:27 AM
You are nuts, absolutely nuts,

*shaking head over and over*

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by loz on October 29, 2005 09:07 AM
quote:
Late fee for not having cell bill paid by 4 pm - $30.00
Pond liner - $188.00
Underlayment - $55.00
Pump and Filter - $240.00 (on sale!)
The look on Andy's face when he sees a huge pond in his yard -
PRICELESS! ! ! ! !

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Andy's just going to love you!!!!! You know you could just tell him he must be going [nutz] and seeing things....

When he says, what the &^%&* is that in the yard just act like you don't see it! [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 09:13 AM

...and guess what???
I just paid his cell bill OVER THE PHONE!
I didn't have to pass Lowe's to begin with!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]  - [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 09:15 AM
quote:
When he says, what the &^%&* is that in the yard just act like you don't see it!
I'm gonna go out there and practice that before he gets here...you know, the perplexed look on my face, the shrugging of my shoulders, the tone of my "Huh??? [dunno] Pond???" [nutz]

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 29, 2005 09:21 AM
quote:
I just paid his cell bill OVER THE PHONE!
I didn't have to pass Lowe's to begin with!

[Big Grin] You're bad!!!! [Big Grin] [tongue]

quote:
I'm gonna go out there and practice that before he gets here...you know, the perplexed look on my face, the shrugging of my shoulders, the tone of my "Huh??? Pond???"

[Big Grin] I just hope when he gets there that he can see the hole...could you imagine if he fell in it....be pretty hard to pretend it wasn't there then--and then he'd really be mad.
by weezie13 on October 29, 2005 09:41 AM
quote:
I just hope when he gets there that he can see the hole...could you imagine if he fell in it....be pretty hard to pretend it wasn't there then
Whoooooooopssssss!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 09:55 AM
[Big Grin] [thumb]
All I can say about that is...
Too bad it doesn't have water in it yet! ! ! ! !
[lala]

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 29, 2005 11:35 AM
[Big Grin]

Your too funny...I'd love to be your neighbor...I could sit outside and watch you fall in your ponds all day... [thumb] [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 11:46 AM
OMG! [shocked]
I hadn't even thought of the fun of having 2 ponds to fall into now!

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 29, 2005 11:59 AM
Hey, it's a cheap way to keep cool in the summer....... [Big Grin]

[teacher] I have an idea.... [thinker] You should dig out a lazy river in your yard with your backhoe...You know one of those long winding rivers that you float down on a tube....That would be so great!!!!! [clappy] You could even charge money to go on it...... [grin]
by afgreyparrot on October 29, 2005 11:30 PM
The Morning After

Well...it's a good thing I didn't try to move the backhoe last night. Or, maybe if I had gone ahead and moved it it would have been O.K., since there wasn't ice on the yard last night like there was this morning. [Eek!]

The side yard that the backhoe had to be driven down is a hill...not all that steep, but pretty long. Andy moved the backhoe before he left...and when he started down the steep part of the hill (the top is steeper than the bottom...) the backhoe started sliding on the ice, and turned sideways. When he got to the bottom of the hill it started tipping over...was on two wheels, with the other two about 18 inches off the ground...but he kept it from turning over. I was standing at the top of the hill watching, and let me tell you...you couldn't have driven a greased needle up my a$$ with a sledgehammer.

He wasn't even mad about the pond or the backhoe... [nutz]
...but he doesn't know about the pond liner, etc. he bought yet. [lala] [Big Grin]

Cindy Sue

-
 -
 -
by moondance on October 30, 2005 06:22 AM
I laughed until I was crying. My hubby came in to bug me and I read your adventures and he said Don't even think about it. Spoil sport. Anyhow-I thought that ponds weren't suppose to be under trees-something about them needing sunlight. If this isn't true-as my daughter says Score! I know just the place for one next year!! I can do this while he is on one of his road trips.

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do: the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
by barleychown on October 30, 2005 08:00 AM
Oh, man...this sooooo tops the "horse blanket in the washer" thing I do...

If only My hubby knew how lucky he is.... [Big Grin]

I think I need another pond...and the horse blanket looks a little muddy this week! [devil]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by afgreyparrot on October 30, 2005 08:27 AM
quote:
If only My hubby knew how lucky he is....
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]
[nutz] Maybe this is why I don't have a husband! [shocked]

quote:
Anyhow-I thought that ponds weren't suppose to be under trees-
Well...they're not. [Embarrassed]
I like to do everything bass-ackwards!

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 30, 2005 08:35 AM
Update

This ------->  -
is a good thing to have when building a pond.
But...you should use it when you start digging the pond...while you still have access to a backhoe.

I set it up this morning and found out that one side of my pond was 6" higher than the other side. [Roll Eyes] So, I have been digging most of the day...with a shovel. I had to take 6" of dirt off of 18 FEET around the pond. The pond is almost 18' long...and about 8 feet wide.

Andy said he would come back this afternoon before his "date" [lala] and help me get the liner in the pond...but he didn't. [Razz]
So...I got all my dirt moving done, and put the liner in by myself. That thing was so heavy I had to get someone at Lowe's to put it in the truck for me yesterday...folded up. I didn't think I could get it out and unfolded by myself, but I did. It took a long time, but I did it! [grin]

I got it in the pond and started filling it with water. I had to take my boots off and get in to keep the liner in the right spots...and I about froze to death. When I got about 2 feet of water in it I got out to get a glass of wine. When I got back into the pond with my pint mason jar of wine, I slipped on the slick liner and went right down in over 2 feet of very cold water. So, my pond has been christened now...it has a pint of Chardonnay in it. [muggs] I was soaked from head to toe, so I changed clothes and went back out to the pond. I filled it up to about 3 feet, then it got way too cold...I couldn't feel my toes anymore. So, I came in.
I'm trying to dry my cell phone out right now...I took it apart and have all the pieces laying on the heat register, so hopefully it will dry out and be O.K. I have such bad luck with phones. [Roll Eyes]

Cindy Sue

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 30, 2005 09:16 AM
[Big Grin]

I knew it, I just knew it!!! I KNEW that you'd be in that pond within 24 hrs of digging it out!!!!!! [Big Grin] What in the world are we supposed to do with you????? [tongue] [kissies]
by afgreyparrot on October 30, 2005 10:00 AM
I am still freezing!
I just can't get warmed up.
I don't like getting in a swimming pool in the hottest part of summer...let alone falling into a pond on an autumn day...and today it was 55 degrees out.

Rachel said if I leave my phone on the heat thing for a few days it will dry out and be o.k., but I don't think so [Frown] ...because I dropped one in a septic tank once and tried to dry it out and it never worked right again.

-
 -
 -
by moondance on October 30, 2005 11:12 AM
Cindy-you remind me of a famous quote which has been used for a very long time but somehow it reminds me of you and this lastest indenvor: "I have a dream...."

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do: the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
by afgreyparrot on October 31, 2005 12:48 AM
quote:
"I have a dream...."

Yeah...that'd be me. "The Dreamer"! [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]
...most of them turn into nightmares, though. [shocked]

I just watched a very informative show on HGTV about building a garden/goldfish pond. I did everything WRONG! The first thing they did before starting ANYTHING was shooting grade. I didn't set the laser up until I had finished digging the pond. [nutz] That cost me 4 extra hours.

...and now we know why the name of this topic is "how NOT to build a pond"! [Big Grin] [lala]

If I did something right the first time I'd probably go into shock.

Cindy S.U.

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 31, 2005 10:19 AM
I'm too tired to even tell you what I did today...
...but here's a pic of where I am.
This sucker is deep!
I ought to know...I took a swim in it today! [Big Grin]
The "little" pond behind it is 13 feet long...if that gives you and idea!

-

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by barleychown on November 01, 2005 02:09 AM
Good Grief woman!

That is HUGE! What are you planning in stocking in that monster???

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by afgreyparrot on November 01, 2005 02:22 AM
 -

-
 -
 -
by loz on November 01, 2005 03:26 AM
Wow Cindy, I'm gonna have to come over and swim laps in that thing!!! [Big Grin]

That's a good job you did there [thumb] --wanna come make one for me???? On your way you can stop and make one for Jiffy too, oh, and bring Andys credit card along too will ya--I'm sure he wouldn't care.... [lala]
by Dixie Angel on November 02, 2005 05:46 AM
I am absolutely green with envy right now, Cindy. I would love to have a pond that size...

We went shopping for those flat rocks. $170 a pallet. They wouldn't sell me just what I needed for my little puddle because their scale was broken and they didn't know how to charge for them. [Mad]

Dianna

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 02, 2005 09:11 AM
Well, I'd share some of my rocks with you and Jiffy if I could.
I have piles of them all over the place...some so big (4'+ diameter) that I have to move them with the backhoe. I sorta collect them! [lala] If you ever come through London I'll load ya up! [Big Grin] [thumb]

I wish I could post a picture of what my pond looks like now, but it's too dark outside to get a good picture. I worked 'til dark again tonight. [Roll Eyes] I have rocks all around the edge, starting on a second row now, and several plants in. Gonna put the pump/filter thing in tomorrow and try to move some fishies.

Everything I've read says that a big pond is easier to take care of than a small pond...but I am wondering how to get something done in the middle of the pond (like put plants in, etc.) when it's so big. [dunno] I think I bit off more than I can chew with this pond.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by sybil on November 03, 2005 08:52 AM
Shall this "pond" be called "Loch Cindy Lou"
[Big Grin] [tongue]

Old age ain't no place for sissies
by melcon6 on November 03, 2005 10:12 AM
quote:
I think I bit off more than I can chew with this pond.
uh, ya think? [dunno] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by weezie13 on November 03, 2005 11:19 AM
quote:
and bring Andys credit card along too will ya
Can I have it next???? [grin] [lala] [devil] [Smile]

That is a very nice looking pond... [thumb] [thumb] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on November 03, 2005 11:31 AM
Thanks! I'll post some more pics of it tomorrow. It looks way different now with rocks around it.

quote:
Can I have it next????
Hey! [thinker] I could just post the # and everyone can use it on the internet! [thumb]
You won't even have to leave the house! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on November 03, 2005 11:39 AM
You need to get some of those coooooool lookin'
white ducks like Njoynit has in hers....... [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on November 03, 2005 12:22 PM
I have livestock in it already that probably isn't compatible with ducks...a stupid Cocker [devil] Spaniel that thinks it's his private swimming pool.

Yeah...Hell [Mad] Hound!

[Roll Eyes]

-
 -
 -
by GiraffeMSW on November 06, 2005 08:46 AM
Wow! That thing is big enough to hold koi if you wanted! How wonderful!

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by afgreyparrot on November 07, 2005 09:53 PM
quote:
That thing is big enough to hold koi if you wanted!
Oh, man...don't be giving me anymore ideas! [Big Grin]
I tend to go a little extreme! [lala]

I keep forgetting to take pictures until after it's dark outside, but you can sorta see how my waterfall thingy is progressing.
 -
To give you a little bit of perspective on how big these rocks are...the bottom one that the water is spilling off of into the pond is almost 4 FEET long and 2 FEET wide! [shocked] And I moved that sucker by myself. The one in the foreground with the smaller rocks sitting on top of it was way too heavy and big for me to move...I had to call for backup on that one.

A work in progress..... [wavey]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on November 07, 2005 10:52 PM
Just remember, that goldfish are in the carp
family and will grow in size to the size of their
surroundings.. bigger area = bigger fish [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on November 07, 2005 10:53 PM
Hey, I think I see an Alien's light comin'
out of the water there..
Do you see it, get closer, closer..CLOSER...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on November 07, 2005 10:57 PM
quote:
bigger area = bigger fish
[shocked]
If they grew over 8 inches in that puddle I had them in, they will end up being 2 feet long!

quote:
Hey, I think I see an Alien's light comin'
out of the water there..

Oh, that's just those crazy goldfish playing with my light sabre again! [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -
 -
by GiraffeMSW on November 08, 2005 08:08 AM
Actually....it more a matter of them finally having room to grow to their natural size. [Wink] Carp/goldies kept in small bowls and tanks will stay small, not because they grow to their surroundings, but because they end up stunted. Limited space, poor water quality (a goldie will produce massive amounts of ammonia in a bowl within hours of receiving fresh water) and limited oxygen availability all end up weakening the fish so it doesn't grow to it's natural potential or even live out a semi-normal life span. Most goldies are very capable of living 20 years or more if their basic requirements are met!

In a big pond like this, you can expect common (feeder) type goldies to grow to 12-15 inches long. And, if you got koi...they could double that.

If you did get koi...PLEASE restrain the desire to get lots of them. Even a pond this size won't hold a bunch of them...but 2 or 3 might work out ok. [lala]

If not koi...then rest assured you will still have lots of fun watching all those baby goldies grow into mammoth fishies. [Cool]

You might want to check in at your local, privately owned fish store and see if the owners need a supplier for goldies (or if they will at least take your extras off your hands.) You will end up needing that backhoe again in the spring otherwise. [Wink] You may also have an area fish club that would take extras too.

by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2005 09:36 AM
quote:
You might want to check in at your local, privately owned fish store and see if the owners need a supplier for goldies (or if they will at least take your extras off your hands.) You will end up needing that backhoe again in the spring otherwise.
[shocked] That's a scarey thought...
I had a puddle with 5 goldfish that turned in 70 goldfish.
What will I end up with having a small lake with 70 goldfish?
[scaredy]
I wonder if there's been any research done in the field of goldfish birth control? [nutz]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2005 09:40 AM
Oh...and I'm not even thinking about koi. [Frown]
I have extremely high stress due to these goldfish... [Love]
...which I love VERY much and want to take the best care of that I can.

Koi would put me over that edge... [lala]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 08, 2005 09:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Oh...and I'm not even thinking about koi. [Frown]
I have extremely high stress due to these goldfish... [Love]
...which I love VERY much and want to take the best care of that I can.

Koi would put me over that edge... [lala]

not to mention andy's credit card. koi are expensive from what i have heard. but they can be beautiful!
by GiraffeMSW on November 08, 2005 10:04 AM
Even mutt kois at the chain petstores run about $20 a fish...so they are indeed a far cry from the cheap goldies. [Smile]

And, for people who are seriously bonkers about their goldies...neutering a fish is not out of the question when you are fortunate enough to have a vet who deals in aquatic life. It's way farther than I would want to go...but different strokes and all. [Smile]

by weezie13 on November 08, 2005 10:06 AM
Giraffe,
Okay, I'll bite.. *so to speak*

How the HECK DO THEY NEUTER THEM PUPPIES????
(Or should I say GUPPIES?? [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2005 10:10 AM
quote:
...neutering a fish is not out of the question when you are fortunate enough to have a vet who deals in aquatic life.
What the.... [shocked]
Are you sh**ting me??????

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2005 10:26 AM
I swear, I have spent all evening reading about pond maintenance... [Roll Eyes]
It is like going back to school...
...but nothing sinks in anymore for some reason.

I just hope my fish live and want a career instead of a family.

-
 -
 -
by Francine on November 08, 2005 10:35 AM
Cindy and Laura, all i can say is [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [tongue] [tongue] YOU CRACK ME UP,rolling me self off the floor.

the only image that came trough my mind reading you guys was like all of that happened to samantha stevens,at least she could always make it disappear and laura if you were the neighboor ...woudn t that mean you d be mrs kravitz....wonder about endora

dough. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [tongue] [tongue]

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: