The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dirty and discolored river rocks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: dirt too hot?| Next thread: Disappointed »
Back to Thread index
by tampagirl on June 19, 2004 07:04 PM
Hi,

I have a large L shaped flower bed that borders 2 sides of my swimming pool. This spring, to keep the soil down I had this bed filled with river rocks nearly 4 inches deep and planted some annuals that bloomed beautifully all through spring.

Now that I want to replant this flower bed, I find that the river rocks (which were originally clean and shiny white) are all dirty and have been discolored by the plants previously planted. Is there anyway to clean the river rocks without causing any damage to the soil underneath thus preventing new plants from growing in the same bed again?

I definately cant take out all the rocks and scrub them! I also need to make sure that whatever I use to clean them does not affect the water in my swimming pool.

Any ideas?!!

Thanks in advance
by CMD on June 20, 2004 05:01 PM
You might be able to use a pressure washer if they are not to small. I have some of my gardens lined with river rocks and they are about 4-6" round. I can't think of anything chemically that won't damage the soil or filter into the pool.
by tampagirl on June 20, 2004 05:19 PM
Thanks CMD, but unfortunately what I have are small rocks of about an inch in diameter or less. The pressure washer may send them flying all over the place. But thanks for the suggestion anyhow, let me see if they clean up at reduced pressure.
by papito on June 22, 2004 06:32 PM
My suggestion is to use presssure washer also; I do this a lot. In your case, since the rocks are too small for direct pressure washing, you could scoop the top half of the rocks from the flower beds and place them in laundry (net)bag , lay flat on a cemented, wood or plastic surface before pressure washing.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Oahugirl on June 23, 2004 03:54 PM
Pour some vinegar mixture on them and then run over them with a bristly broom. It will help with some of the build up.

Smiles,
Samantha
by Phil and Laura on June 23, 2004 04:48 PM
Be Careful though that the Vinegar doesn't get near your plants!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dirt too hot?| Next thread: Disappointed »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: