The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Follow the leader?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by floweringchild on September 08, 2006 02:06 AM
Okay, you will not believe this pic. I went out to my back courtyard this morning and saw this scene on my patio chair.

-

At first glance, I thought it was one catepillar but three marching on behind one another. I had to laugh!!

Does anyone know what butterfly they will turn in to? BTW - I captured them and was wondering what plant food they prefer eating? Hoping I have it in my garden. I think I need an answer soon if I want them to live! [Big Grin] [Wink]

-
 -
by Thornius on September 08, 2006 02:39 AM
I checked eNature.com and Google Image Search and cannot find anything quite like these. Will keep checking.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by LandOfOz on September 08, 2006 03:48 AM
Could it be a Yellow Wooly Bear Caterpillar? I think yours looks more spikey than fuzzy though. Great pic!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by jakesangel on September 08, 2006 07:03 AM
Could it be an American Dagger Moth? it might not be yellow enough for that tho.

This site has tons.

-
Country Roads  -
by gailo on September 08, 2006 08:39 PM
Could it be a pale tussock moth caterpillar? They eat oaks, willows and poplars. Have you looked at http://whatsthatbug.com/ ? Scroll down and you will see a menu of all sorts of insect critters and caterpillars.

gailo
by plants 'n pots on September 08, 2006 10:20 PM
Wonderful picture!
Thanks for sharing it with us! [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by floweringchild on September 10, 2006 12:49 AM
Hi Thornius [wavey]
Have you found out more?

LandOfOz, [wavey]
I agree, don't think its a Yellow Wooly Bear cat. [Frown]

jakesangel [wavey]
American Dagger?, too hairy [Frown]
Thanks for the site.

gailo, [wavey] pale tussock moth? Hummm, I don't think so [Frown] I should ask "What's that Bug" or Bug Guide.

plants 'n pots, [wavey] Thanks!

After reading everyone's post and going to these sites, I think these little guys are in the moth family.

Others input?

-
 -
by floweringchild on October 03, 2006 03:45 AM
Okay folks. thanks to Cindy/afgreyparrot, [clappy] and another thread I started to ascertain identification of a caterpillar, I now know what these little fellas turn in to, Io Moth Butterflies. A pretty picture but that's all as they are poisoneous and venomous caterpillars.

Here's a look at the adult caterpillar.
 -

The website I went to showed earlier instar larve. They are yellow and follow as a train.

ANOTHER CASE SOLVED! [Big Grin] [muggs]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: