The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbirds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hummingbirds| Next thread: Hungarian Peppers »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 30, 2006 03:44 PM
This is my first time I have had hummingbirds in my yard - I think the gladiolas attracted them, that is where I saw them first last week. Bought a feeder, now they are there every day and every evening - LOTS OF THEM! My boys absolutely love to watch them and they let us get really close to them! They have kind of a greenish color on their back.

Where do they live? I don't have any bird houses in my yard - yet, do they build nests or where do they 'sleep'?

PattyM
by afgreyparrot on August 30, 2006 03:53 PM
They roost in my weeping willow trees at night.
I have LOTS of them! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on August 30, 2006 04:49 PM
Those are Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. The females have white throats; the males have have irridescent red throats. They NEVER live in houses, they roost in trees. My weeping willow and Mulberry trees are popular roosting places for them. They will soon migrate to South America Crossing the width of the Gulf of Mexico, non-stop, in less than 24 hours. They stay about 5 feet above the waves as they fly. They should be all gone by the end of October. They return around the end of February in the extreme southern U.S. It is usually the males that return first. The males are usually the first to migrate south in Fall. They should arrive in North Dakota around the first to middle of May.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by ChristinaC on August 30, 2006 05:11 PM
Do any of them "stick around"? We still see them all the time here and we're quite a bit north of you Thorny.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 30, 2006 05:50 PM
I've had some of the Hummingbirds roost in my Mulberry tree, [Wink] but I've never noticed them in any of my other trees. [Frown] Of course, since their nests are so small it might be hard to tell! [dunno]
by Deborah L. on September 03, 2006 04:21 PM
Thornius, one of mine has a yellow head.
Ever seen that?

-
 -
by Thornius on September 03, 2006 04:55 PM
I'm not surprised, Deborah. You are on the west coast where there are dozens of species of hummers. Here in the east we have Ruby-Throateds ONLY (And you don't have those [Razz] )

I imagine that what you have is a male Rufous Hummingbird. Do a Google Image Search on Rufous Hummingbirds to see if that is what he is.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Deborah L. on September 03, 2006 06:15 PM
But they DO have ruby throats.
Are they still Rufous?

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 04, 2006 12:13 AM
Deborah, the Anna's Hummingbird is common in California and the males have the ruby throat. Anna's Hummingbird

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on September 04, 2006 04:40 AM
That's the one, Rosie ! Cool !

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 04, 2006 05:04 AM
Happy to have helped, Deborah. [Wink] Bookmark this website for future reference... Hummingbirds.Net There's all kinds of information there and some of the most gorgeous pictures!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Deborah L. on September 04, 2006 06:20 AM
Got it, thanks, Rosie ! [wavey]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hummingbirds| Next thread: Hungarian Peppers »
Back to Thread index