The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cicada

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: chunky cucs????| Next thread: cicada's »
Back to Thread index
by Thornius on August 29, 2006 04:52 PM
Who hasn't thrilled to the sound of Cicadas with their buzzing chaater and songs. This afternoon as I went out the door I was delighted to see this beautiful Cicada on the door of my house. It's hard to believe that they spend most of the YEARS of their life underground. I'm sure you've seen them in that form, too. In this stage they are big, fat white and disgusting. With creepy legs......Yes, I am talking about GRUBWORMS! the larval stage of this insect. Here are some pictures I took of this one.

Cicada 01
 -

Cicada 02
 -

Cicada 03
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Triss on August 29, 2006 04:55 PM
Thorny, I love those shots and while I LOVE the music they make, those bugs scare the beegeebers outta me!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Thornius on August 29, 2006 05:04 PM
I think they are CUTE! When they are in their grubworm form they are creepy but I think they are BEAUTIFUL as adults.

-
 -
by gailo on August 30, 2006 01:09 AM
We've had a bunch of those this year! I'll be glad when they go back under for another 17 years. I have found lots of their shedded exoskeletons out in the yard.

gailo
by LandOfOz on August 30, 2006 08:21 AM
Gailo, we've had a very large number of exo-skeletons this year too! My 2-year-old likes to make them stick onto her clothes (or her sisters) and then run around screaming about the "attack of the locust!" I really enjoy the sounds of cicadas and since we've got a lot of trees around there is always several making noise!

Thornius, those are great pictures! I didn't know that grubs were cicadas. Now I almost (emphasis on almost) feel bad about all the grubs that I kill... I have a film-photo from last year of a cicada shedding it's shell--it looks really neat although it's not in focus.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by gailo on August 30, 2006 08:29 AM
OH my gosh! I bet those grubs I found in my potted petunia were cicadas. I thought they were Japanese beetles but they didn't look like the picture. They are grey and have a brown head. They are pretty juicy looking. I put milky spore in the pots. Does that kill any kind of grub or just J. beetles?

gailo
by Thornius on August 30, 2006 09:12 AM
My 5-year-old grandson picked up about 60 Cicada shells out of our yard this summer. In 5 more years we will again have the unbelievable swarms of the so-called 13-year-locusts. These are a different type from the ones in my pictures. The 13-year are black with red eyes and are smaller. They have a different sound, too. They make a, "tik-tik-tik-tik zzzzzz-IIIIII-ooooo" type of noise. Whenever the 13 year come out, the fishing becomes incredible......and the bird watching, too.

-
 -
by gailo on August 30, 2006 12:29 PM
Well I've seen some green ones and some black ones and for awhile it was pretty noisey here. Maybe we should go fishing.

gailo
by jakesangel on August 31, 2006 11:30 AM
Great photos Thorny!

I think they're cute too Thorny! They look like little camoflauged army bugs! lol

We found a dead one in the yard the other day. I think the cat must have played it too much. [Frown]

-
Country Roads  -
by Thornius on August 31, 2006 03:31 PM
They die naturally a few weeks after emerging. I don;t think your cat killed it.

-
 -
by badplanter on August 31, 2006 05:16 PM
what type of cicada was that in the pics? (which were great, by the way! [thumb] )

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Thornius on September 01, 2006 01:06 AM
I'm not sure. It didn't match the descriptions that I could find.

-
 -
by Pekemom on September 01, 2006 02:00 AM
Ewwwwww!!!!!

I haven't seen too many of those in my backyard... [Roll Eyes]

Good closeups, tho....

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by Triss on September 01, 2006 08:53 AM
I had never heard of them before moving to Nebraska and at first the drove me absolutely nuts. The sound was never ending. Once I figured out what they were and got used to it, I was able to ignore it for the most part. I do not think we have them here in Washington either.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Jiffymouse on September 03, 2006 03:05 AM
i haven't even thought about them in years. they are really cool!
by patches1414 on September 03, 2006 11:50 PM
Oh, I just love to listen to the chattering of the Cicada. [Love] My mom and I used to sit on her patio in the evening and we always enjoyed just taking in the buzzing sounds of them, [Love] even though sometimes it was deafening. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I also find the shedded exoskeletons in my yard and they are a little scary looking, [scaredy] but they are amazing and interesting creatures! What great pictures, Thorny! Thanks so much for sharing them! [kissies]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by floweringchild on September 24, 2006 04:06 AM
Hi Thornius [wavey]

Glad you started a thread on Cicadas. I find them fascinating as well. I live in the New Orleans area and we have plenty Cicadas this season. They are in a water oak right behind my house. In fact, I was lucky enough to find one (DOA) [Wink] , but still I found one and was able to photograph!

-

It appears we may have the same species. I did a little research some time back to see what kind are in my area and concluded this little guy is a Dog Day Cicada/Tibicen pruminosa to be precise! Annuals - like the flowers! I found a website that had the sounds and identified it that way. Very interesting. Love these little creatures! I also learned from that website there are several other species in my area by identifying their sound.

-
 -
by Thornius on September 24, 2006 05:51 AM
I remember the cicadas at my grandparents house on the banks of the Amite River near Baton Rouge. Their house had an attached boat dock on it and was built on stilts.

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 25, 2006 03:53 AM
I see we have some common denominators, i.e. your grandparents living close to Baton Rouge, which is about one hour from where I live and you living in Nashville, close to where my sister lives! [muggs]

Those cicadas are really somethin'. I would love to see what the other species in my area look like! [Roll Eyes] The sounds are piercing though. I still like them! [Wink]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: chunky cucs????| Next thread: cicada's »
Back to Thread index