The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Low-fat Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by mich168 on November 22, 2005 11:51 AM
Garlic mashed potatoes can be creamy and flavorful without all that butter and cream. Try this version for your holiday table, or as a side dish for any occasion.

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup fat-free milk, warmed
1/3 cup fat -free sour cream
1/2 tsp black pepper
Chives, freshly chopped

PREPARATION:
Boil potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to pan. Add heated milk plus sour cream to potatoes and garlic, and mash with a potato masher, or with a mixer, until smooth. Use a little more milk if you prefer thinner mashed potatoes. Add black pepper to taste. Garnish with some chopped chives. Serves 6.

-
 -
by Merme on November 24, 2005 02:11 PM
Michelle ~ This sounds very good.

I often substitute fat-free sour cream OR lowfat plain yogurt in recipes that call for much cream and butter. It even works well in soups and chowders.

Thanks for sharing it!

Do you ever roast the garlic first rather than boiling it with the potatoes? That would also give it an extra flair...

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by plants 'n pots on November 25, 2005 02:58 AM
Michele - this sounds so yummy and easy!

Thanks for sharing!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by mich168 on November 27, 2005 12:15 PM
Merme: here's another one that I found:

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Ingredients
8 to 10 cloves garlic
2 pounds potatoes, cut up.
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary, thyme, or oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

To roast garlic, wrap unpeeled garlic cloves in foil. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic paste from peels.

Meanwhile, in a covered kettle cook potatoes in a small amount of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to kettle. Mash potatoes and garlic paste with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add sour cream; milk; rosemary, thyme, or oregano; salt; and pepper. Beat until light and fluffy.
Yield: 6 servings

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: