The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help Cannas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on May 21, 2005 02:03 PM
The watercress has complete filled the container. I didn't know it would do that. I know I can rescue the marigolds. But what about the cannas? They have stems but no blooms and are completely covered by the watercress. Can I dig them up and transplant them somewhere else, or are they ok where they are, or am I going to lose them no matter what I do. Please tell me what to do.

...did I say I could rescue the marigolds? Well about half of them. I just ran out of room. The ants have the patch of ground where I could put another marigold bed and I don't think an hour is sufficient time for them to move somewhere else or die.

Ah I have an idea the lady who lives kitty corner from the weed patch might enjoy a pot of marigolds. Of course it means bye bye to another quart of potting soil but that's life. I'd better wait until around 10:00 a.m. before I do it so I don't wake them up.
by pcgrav on May 21, 2005 03:48 PM
Mornin' TK,
About the cannas, what I'm about to tell you is NOT proper gardening technique but... At my old house I had a water fountain/flower bed-- it was a center circle with another circle on either side of it-- I'll find a picture later today and post it in this thread-- anyway-- I planted cannas in the two outer circles behind some other stuff-- the cannas kept getting out of hand; so everytime they grew where I didn't want them I would did them up and move what I didn't want to another location...This went on all summer long-ALL summer--I said all of that to say this-- cannas are usually very hardy plants-- I didn't have any problem moving mine. If you want to divide them and put them in more than one place cut the tuber in half with a clean sharp knife giving each stem equal parts(as close to equal as possible) I had them planted everywhere. It got to the point that I thought I was going to have to start throwing them away I was running out of room to transplant them. They can get out of hand. Keep in mind I do live in the southern delta and your temps are although similar quite cooler at times. I haven't seen a night as cool as 52 in a while...(thinking back to your post the other day)Anyway- I hope I have helped you some-- if you need more info let me know I'll do what I can [Wink] Tricia

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by tkhooper on May 21, 2005 04:02 PM
Hey Tricia,

Thanks for the info. I'm pouting at the moment but I'm sure I will probably move them later on. If for no other reason than to take them away from the landlord. I'm cranky at the moment and probably shouldn't even post. I think I'll go play over on Yahoo with the other cranky people.
by pcgrav on May 21, 2005 04:12 PM
[tongue] now,now, cranky only ruins your day; be inventive make lemonade from the lemons...blah-blah-blah-- OH HECK-Go ahead and be cranky sometimes it just feels good!!! [Big Grin] [grin] [Big Grin] [grin]
See Ya Later

-
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by pcgrav on May 21, 2005 08:55 PM
TK, the picture I mentioned earlier is posted over in "garden inventiveness" and here is a picture of my new cannas now. I only planted four tubers last year and this is how they have multiplied already and I'm sure they will triple befor summer's end...
 -
That length of space is somewhere between 4 & 6 feet long... see how they grow?!?!

-
by 4Ruddy on May 21, 2005 11:48 PM
quote:
If you want to divide them and put them in more than one place cut the tuber in half with a clean sharp knife giving each stem equal parts(as close to equal as possible) I had them planted everywhere.
A sharp, clean knife??? [shocked] I just rip those puppies apart and dig a new hole! The are VERY hardy plants. I just tilled a 30ft row seperating our yard from a vacant lot and filled it with out of hand cannas...and THEN have some growing under the privacy fence in the back yard from our neighbors yard...GEEZ...they are everywhere! they are the one flower Peanut knows he can TOUCH... [grin] I know he can't hurt them! and, I don't think it really matters WHEN you seperate them...I have done it when they are already up quite a bit and ...they just take off. My kind of flower for sure!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by pcgrav on May 21, 2005 11:59 PM
Hey 4Ruddy,
That's pretty much what I do but I didn't want to "instruct" someone else to do that! It seemed kinda harsh... I know what you mean about planting them anywhere... I had a rotted out pine stump that was pretty much just a hole in my yard but the outer part was still too much to do away with without diggin' up the whole yard so I threw in some dirt and stuck a bunc in it and they went wild!!!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: