The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ANY LANDING YOU CAN WALK AWAY FROM.......

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Any ideas on| Next thread: Any other year-round bloomers? »
Back to Thread index
by Thornius on July 05, 2006 06:56 AM
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. This was NOT a landing gear failure. I was looking out my backdoor at a Starling, when it SUDDENLY fell forward on its breast with its wings outspread and proceeded to lie like that for two or three minutes. Then it rolled from side to side, stretching the wing and leg on each side in turn. Looking around I noticed the House Sparrows and even an American Robin in my back yard were doing almost the exact same thing. My guess is that they were either sunning themselves, cooling themselves, and/or trying to get rid of mites. It was the first time I've ever noticed this behavior.

OOPS!
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by TulsaRose on July 05, 2006 07:48 AM
Great picture, Thornius. I have a small "dusting" patch of ground near the bird bath. It's always fun to watch the birds roll around in the dust then stretch out in the sun for a few minutes. The first time I spotted this activity was a big, old Brown Thrasher that hung around here a lot. I looked out the kitchen window and saw him spread-eagled in the yard and ran out to rescue him. lol! I was so relieved he flew away although I know he was probably muttering under his breath at me for waking him up. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Triss on July 05, 2006 08:31 AM
That is very odd behavior Thorny. Neat pic though!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Wrennie on July 06, 2006 09:20 AM
Thorny my barn swallows were doing that too on the wooden deck. We (me and the real estate guy next door at work)thought there was something wrong at first. But I walked over and he/she looked at me like 'what you never saw a bird sunbathe?' and reluctantly flew up to her/his nest.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by tkhooper on July 07, 2006 12:41 AM
That is a fantastic picture Thorn, And I love learning all this facinating stuff too. Thankyou very much.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Any ideas on| Next thread: Any other year-round bloomers? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: