The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

kinda wondering?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: kinda stupid question,| Next thread: King Kong Coleus »
Back to Thread index
by porter57 on May 28, 2006 06:00 PM
while i do have hummers using my feeders sparingly,i have noticed them or at least one female hovering around the fir tree i have in my front yard. do you think they may be nesting in this tree? would be kinda cool if they are.
im also seeing a lot of larger birds nests pushed out of the tree and laying on the ground
around this same tree. i guess it could be squirrels knocking em down. ive seen three so far and im not seeing the nests where i did last year.
by Wrennie on May 29, 2006 12:26 AM
Hummers usually nest in deciduous trees or shrubs. I would think if there was a nest she wouldn't be hovering near it. She'd be more likely to get to and away from it rather quickly so as not to give up its location to a predator. They do eat alot of insects.(75% of their diet) There could be teeny insects in the fir she's eating.
If you cn look in the branches where you think a nest might be, look for a teeny nest that will look more like a little nub of moss than anything.Heres some pics. http://images.google.com/images?q=hummingbird+nest&hl=en

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Thornius on May 29, 2006 10:58 AM
The Hummer nests I've seen are TINY, about the size of half a golf ball. They are made of moss and lichen and lined with spider web. The nests are usually near the end of a branch and made in a fork of the branch

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: kinda stupid question,| Next thread: King Kong Coleus »
Back to Thread index