The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Do bird houses really work?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Amber J on April 18, 2006 10:36 PM
My hubby bought me a bird house! I've wanted one for so long and it looks like it's pretty good. My question is, do birds actually live in them, or are they pretty much for the hopeful decorator? I haven't seen any "action" since I've had it up.
by loz on April 18, 2006 11:20 PM
Yes they do work depending on what kind it is.....basic birdhouses work better than fancy decorative ones I think. And it might take a while before birds start using it. My big huge birdhouse was used the first year....but 2 others that I have are still empty and they've been hung up for months and months.....

Just be patient! [thumb] [wavey]
by pagarden on April 19, 2006 02:06 AM
just depends on the bird too. i had a decorative house out- not even for the birds but they found it and confiscated it last year. i have 2 more i need to hang out just haven't done it yet. they aren't fancy either- just plain things i let the kids paint. and i put up a small box on our porch- the birds always look around out there but since i put the box out i haven't seen them scoping it out. [Frown] i am just waiting for them to find it.....
by Thornius on April 19, 2006 02:55 AM
Plain utilitarian bird houses are best for actually getting birds. Not all species of birds use birdhouses. The ones most likel;y to use birdhouses are Wrens, Chickadees, Bluebirds, Nuthatches, Purple Martins, and certain Swallows and Warblers. I am not sure which ones in Arizona will use birdhouses. You might want to contact your local chapter of the Audubon Society or some other bird or nature group, Amber, to see what birds in your area use houses and what kind of houses they prefer.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on April 19, 2006 07:17 PM
Depending on the size of the opening, certain birds prefer certain opening, where you place it, open area or dense foliage area, how high, hanging or post mounted, also makes a difference.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/birdhouse/bios/nest_require/
good link for info

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by hisgal2 on April 19, 2006 08:34 PM
I have 2 bird houses. One on a post that puts the house right at the top of our butterfl bush and one hung on our garage. They both get used every year. It seems like the same birds claim it year after year also.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: