The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Murderous Kitty

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Munched Daff Buds??| Next thread: Murtie's Square Gets A Facelift »
Back to Thread index
by Amber J on April 06, 2006 06:16 AM
I have a kitty that won't stop soiling in the house, so now she resides in our back yard. She really loves it and even gets upset when we bring her in at night for bed time. However, I think she loves it to the point that she wants to share, and tries to feed us what she eats. Birds, that is. She is now catching birds and bringing them to us. With Spring coming up, there are lots of new birds and I am afraid she'll keep doing this.

Does anyone have this problem? How do I get her to stop? I know it's an affection thing and you're not supposed to be angry with the kitty, but it makes me really sad. Also, how am I supposed to dispose of the little bodies? (She's also starting on the lizards, too - which are quite abundant here in AZ).
by afgreyparrot on April 06, 2006 07:14 AM
How is she catching the birds?
Do you feed them on the ground or in a low feeder?

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on April 06, 2006 07:16 AM
Plant TONS (TONNES?) of Catnip around your house. She will stay too doped up all the time to even TRY to catch a bird.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Triss on April 06, 2006 07:42 AM
Amber, One thing about cats is that they will catch birds if given the chance. Mine still brings them home on occasion and have never found anything to stop him. The one thing I would do is to not put feeders in an area that is easy for the cat to get to as well. Keep them up higher and in places where the birds can hide as well, like trees.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by comfrey on April 06, 2006 10:37 AM
Good advice Triss except at my house, I have bluebird boxes tied high up in the trees and I have caught the cats up ontop of the boxes trying to catch birds, It's something that cats do, The catnip solution sounds good though. Do not scold your cat for catching the birds, she is trying to show you how good of a hunter she is and wants you to see that, when she brings them to you.

-
 -
by Triss on April 06, 2006 12:56 PM
Cats will get to plces if they have the desire. All you can do is make it harder for them.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by slredmond on April 06, 2006 08:00 PM
You can buy a collar specifically for cats with a bell on it. The birds will have a chance to escape if they hear the cat first. Be careful to get a collar specifically for cats, and which can break away. This feature is not on every collar, but you want the collar to break if they cat gets hung up on bushes or other things they encounter out doors. Try your local Petco or TSC carries pet supplies, too.

Sandy R.
by rue anemone on April 06, 2006 10:41 PM
Thornius_ LOL!! Good one!!

I have used bells on my cat and they seem to work.

-
 -
by Amber J on April 07, 2006 05:14 AM
I don't have bird feeders around my house, but I do keep 2 tags on her collar, it makes noise when she moves but she still manages to catch things.

I like the idea about the tons of catnip! That way she'll be so stoned she won't even care about hunting! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Munched Daff Buds??| Next thread: Murtie's Square Gets A Facelift »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: